What do you dirtbikers do for a living??

One word.... TECHNOLOGY!

Get in as fast as you can, learn everything you can, and be ready to rock. I have my degree in corporate finance but got into software development for a ATM manufacture along my way. Once i finished up my degree, i found the IT sector was paying 2x what i would have gotten jumping over to a finance position so i stuck with IT. Mostly i work on integrations now as im titled a SOA Developer, but DB skills also play a big role.

Most importantly, do what you LIKE to do or work is going to be a PITA. Im on call 24/7, but love every minute of it which makes working, earning money, and learning that much easier.

• Like 8

Commercial Construction Management

Main job description is managing and coordinating all the trades on the project, maintaining and pushing the project schedule, identifying and resolving field issues, coordinating testing and commissioning of building systems...etc etc

I also administrate a software system for the company, help administrate our qa/qc protocols. I'm also the onsite IT guy which entails everything from troubleshooting network issues to showing someone how to use a formula in excel. 

I enjoy it, good variety, I split time between the project field office and the job site. I don't really like sitting for long periods of time or being inside all day so spending part of the day outside is great. I average 8-10 miles of walking per day which helps burn off the booze from the night before. 

Pretty good salary, great benefits. The biggest thing is learning how to manage your money. With out that skill, it doesn't matter how much you make, you'll be broke. 

• Like 4

Currently in my last semester of Grade 12. my original plan was to go to school to become an auto technician but after doing some of the work, talking to the people that have been in it for 30 years i changed my plans. The auto industry for general Technicians is so bad and the pay is just shit. Most of the time it's not even a flat rate. Anyway, I was then turned to becoming a motorcycle technician but again, after finding out the pay rate it's not worth it, Plus i don't have many motorcycle places around me that would allow that.

I'll follow in my fathers footsteps and go to school so i can become a machinist.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Currently in my last semester of Grade 12. my original plan was to go to school to become an auto technician but after doing some of the work, talking to the people that have been in it for 30 years i changed my plans. The auto industry for general Technicians is so bad and the pay is just shit. Most of the time it's not even a flat rate. Anyway, I was then turned to becoming a motorcycle technician but again, after finding out the pay rate it's not worth it, Plus i don't have many motorcycle places around me that would allow that.

I'll follow in my fathers footsteps and go to school so i can become a machinist.    

One of my buddies is a CNC programmer and operator at a small specialties shop and does pretty well for himself 

• Like 3

Just now, SenorThumpy said:

One of my buddies is a CNC programmer and operator at a small specialties shop and does pretty well for himself 

Yea exactly, Those jobs take a good amount of Math but pay really well for what they are. Skilled tradesmen like that are needed. 

• Like 3

Lineman,climb poles for a living

Storm season starting so that means more bike parts!!

Love my job,outside all the time!!

GREAT benefits!!

Also great pay! An I can go any where in the world an get a job making the same or more.

If this interests you they now have lineman school an is considered college so you can get school loan

I've been doing this trade for 12 years now an can't think of anything else I would wanna doIMG_0033.JPG

• Like 11

Medical field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

field service - Medical Imaging (X-ray)

Siemens

Philips

GE

All above will send you to their classes and teach you how to work on their systems

Cath/angio, CT, MRI

Fantastic pay and bennies 

I'm currently going to college, and working at a motorcycle shop as a mechanic. Definitely don't want to do this my whole life, but I enjoy it now.
I'm looking into IT/Programing because technology is in high demand. I'm also looking into welding, machining, construction management, or some type of job I can work outside and not be couped up in an office all day.

11 minutes ago, CR250_182 said:

I'm currently going to college, and working at a motorcycle shop as a mechanic. Definitely don't want to do this my whole life, but I enjoy it now.
I'm looking into IT/Programing because technology is in high demand. I'm also looking into welding, machining, construction management, or some type of job I can work outside and not be couped up in an office all day.

Hows that going? I was told they get paid even less then car mechanics and that job isn't fun now :( 

Many good careers out there so you also want to find something that you feel you love... We all have to work too long in life so the last thing you want to do is pick a career that makes you miserable and makes you dread getting out of bed everyday. 

Medical - is huge still and always, my daughter is an RN in ICU not sure what she makes now but 1st year out of school was making $128K with overtime.

Biomed or chemical engineering is still growing

IT based careers is still growing but the pay is based on experience and niches. 

Technology as someone mentioned is still huge, I've been involved in supporting Electrical Engineering for near 40 years doing Printed Circuit Board Design/Layout working in military, commercial and semiconductor industry. Technology also has so many directions... in 1979 starting out I made min wage of $3.10/hr while going to school... today lets just say I make somewhere very decent in the 6 figures. 

But it takes time to grow into your career, position and make decent money at times. Very rarely can you come straight out of the gate and become Bill Gates unless you invent new technology that can be sold or grown...

Best of luck and you are doing it right by checking into it, hit career days, think about what you enjoy in life and see if there is a way to grow that passion into a career...

Edited by Diamond-Dave
  • Like 3

I'm towards the end of my career looking to retire after a couple more years.

I went to college and got a dual degree in computer science and mathematics. I would say that my education was geared for a career in IT as a Software Developer and that is the route I went down in the first part of my career. The middle part of my career I started doing more of what you would call Data Center management. For the last 17 years I've been working in sales. I'm the technical part of sales that the Sales guy brings in after he figures out the customer really want/need something. For these past 17 years I've been 100% telecommute which is awesome to not have to commute. In exchange I travel for work occasionally; enough for it to be fun but I always like getting home so I can ride my bike more. My work hours are flexible, I have massive amounts of vacation time each year so I get to ride plenty.

Now hears the secret: 1) have a plan. As they say plans rarely fail, people fail to plan. You asking at 16 so you are already seeking to form a plan. Excellent! 2) I basically been gainfully employed my whole career. I've worked since the age of 14 and I have not gone a day being unemployed - I've been pretty lucky on that one but it also is a result of work ethic. 3) I've saved for retirement most my life (first few years, no) and maxed out 401k retirement each year. You'll know more about that when you have to start paying taxes. So at this point retirement is baked. I could stop working now if I want to downsize my life but I'm pretty happy with my work-life-balance so why jump off a ship that is not sinking. I've got two street motorcycles and two (new and newish) dirt bikes. If I wanted another I'd go buy it; then again I put plenty into the dirt bikes I have  because I ride so much.

My advice to you: 1) you're asking a bunch of strangers on the internet for advice. Weight it carefully. 2) take responsibility for your life, sounds like you already do, 3) figure a plan that works for you. Not everyone is bound to university to work in the molecular biology - doesn't mean your can be successful. 4) Figure out how YOU will measure success and happiness - use that as a guide. Life is fluid so your plan will change; just don't go through life without a plan.

Your school system should have resources for you, like counselors, career days, college prep, etc. You should utilize those resources to help you along.

Congrats on your way of thinking!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrYamaHashi said:

Random question but what do you guys do for a living buying these brand new bikes?? Reason why is becuase I'm 16 and I'm looking for some career opportunities!! Thanks a lot to all who reply!!!

lol i feel you dude, being at the end of highschool is scary, you're so use to being in the school system that it's just every year you go back and go on doing school stuff, once you get to the edge of it all you gotta hit the ground running and get working towards a meaningful career or you might sink. Or at least that's what kids these days think, i won't lie, i'm nervous and excited to start another chapter of my life. You'll find something you'll wanna do and that will make it that much better for you ?

• Like 3