What do you dirtbikers do for a living??

I'm a Utility Service Rep for the local gas company. Great pay, great benefits and they provide all the training but not sure if it's the same where you live.
It's taken me a long time to find work I enjoy. I'll be 30 this year I just started with this company last fall. I've been working since I was teen starting in the family landscaping business then being a automotive mechanic, farming, heavy equipment operator, retail, CNC Machinist, Landscape Design and Sales, HydroVac operator, Stone Slinger driver and now with the gas company where I plan to stay for a long time.
I plan to stay because of how good this company is to its employees. I also enjoy the work even though I never dreamed of doing this work for a living.
I remember in high school always being told to find what you love and make that your job. That's crap. Find a job you can enjoy that makes good money so you enjoy life outside of work. There are those few that manage to do what they love and make money at it. But for the rest of us we work to support ourselves, our families and our hobbies.
I learned this from a good friend of mine. He is a prison guard which is not the glamorous job but it pays well and gives him lots of time off to hunt and fish. He built a beautiful house out in the woods with a fishing pond and brew shed to make beer. His original dream job: pilot.
I would look for jobs that in demand like trades. Here in Canada there is a major shortage of trades worker like plumbers and electricians especially in the industrial sector. And if your willing to travel or move around you can make a lot of money. Best part is schooling here for trades is a co-op program. So you work and go to school at the same time meaning you won't come out with a huge debt and will be making over $100,000 a year when fully trained.
Nursing and healthcare is a another good area especially for male nurses. Not many around and are sought after. Plus people are always going to be sick.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post, but I'm really passionate about this as I understand the struggle of finding your place in the world. Any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 5

I'm a Utility Service Rep for the local gas company. Great pay, great benefits and they provide all the training but not sure if it's the same where you live.
It's taken me a long time to find work I enjoy. I'll be 30 this year I just started with this company last fall. I've been working since I was teen starting in the family landscaping business then being a automotive mechanic, farming, heavy equipment operator, retail, CNC Machinist, Landscape Design and Sales, HydroVac operator, Stone Slinger driver and now with the gas company where I plan to stay for a long time.
I plan to stay because of how good this company is to its employees. I also enjoy the work even though I never dreamed of doing this work for a living.
I remember in high school always being told to find what you love and make that your job. That's crap. Find a job you can enjoy that makes good money so you enjoy life outside of work. There are those few that manage to do what they love and make money at it. But for the rest of us we work to support ourselves, our families and our hobbies.
I learned this from a good friend of mine. He is a prison guard which is not the glamorous job but it pays well and gives him lots of time off to hunt and fish. He built a beautiful house out in the woods with a fishing pond and brew shed to make beer. His original dream job: pilot.
I would look for jobs that in demand like trades. Here in Canada there is a major shortage of trades worker like plumbers and electricians especially in the industrial sector. And if your willing to travel or move around you can make a lot of money. Best part is schooling here for trades is a co-op program. So you work and go to school at the same time meaning you won't come out with a huge debt and will be making over $100,000 a year when fully trained.
Nursing and healthcare is a another good area especially for male nurses. Not many around and are sought after. Plus people are always going to be sick.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post, but I'm really passionate about this as I understand the struggle of finding your place in the world. Any questions feel free to ask.

May I ask how much your are currently making? I'm in Canada to and at school right now they are incouraging kids to get into the trades becuase of the shortages. I'm in southern Ontario what about you?

19 hours ago, motf said:

technology related jobs are overrated, soon after apocalypse we'll need real skills like house builders,  lumberjacks, hunters etc.

I listen to a good show regarding the tech industry. The guy mentions how many billions of dollars were invested into the tech industry and when you look at what's come out thats been huge like Facebook, the ROI has been pennies in the dollar. Even something like Twitter can't make money and its ever so popular. His opinion was the tech industry is going to burst in the next 10yrs...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MrYamaHashi said:

May I ask how much your are currently making? I'm in Canada to and at school right now they are incouraging kids to get into the trades becuase of the shortages. I'm in southern Ontario what about you?

On the bottom-end, $40k a year, at peak probably well over $100k after a few good years employment.

One of the problems facing career choices for people is they very rarely look at the bottom number, only the top. So when they come out of school and can't find a job for $100k right off the bat they are highly disappointed.

My wife is a Geo-Technical Engineer and she sees 100s of resumes of junior engineers who apply looking for senior engineering wages. It just isn't realistic... 

• Like 2

So I also live in southern Ontario and my job starts at around $60,000 per year but that doesn't include overtime and there is a lot of overtime available. Top rate is in 5 years and is over $70,000. But the guys in these positions are making over $100,000 with the overtime and standby work that we do. The more you work the more you make.
Trades are great especially HVAC, plumber, electrician or gas fitter because you can make good money especially through a union or go on your own and start your own business. Plus you won't be burdened by a huge debt when you done school unlike university. And since there's a shortage, there are a lot of government programs and assistance to getting into the trades.
But remember that it is hard, physical work and you don't always get to work in the nicest places.
Government jobs are great too if you can get in.

Is there anything your leaning towards more?

So I also live in southern Ontario and my job starts at around $60,000 per year but that doesn't include overtime and there is a lot of overtime available. Top rate is in 5 years and is over $70,000. But the guys in these positions are making over $100,000 with the overtime and standby work that we do. The more you work the more you make.
Trades are great especially HVAC, plumber, electrician or gas fitter because you can make good money especially through a union or go on your own and start your own business. Plus you won't be burdened by a huge debt when you done school unlike university. And since there's a shortage, there are a lot of government programs and assistance to getting into the trades.
But remember that it is hard, physical work and you don't always get to work in the nicest places.
Government jobs are great too if you can get in.

Is there anything your leaning towards more?

I saw some people taking about being a lineman and it seems to pay good espailly with ot, I've also been looking into being and electrician and later on starting my own business. But with your own bussiness you need money in order to make money so I'm sure I would have to work something out and be saving for maybe 7-10 years? Before I could start.
  • Like 1

I own a medical marijuana delivery service in CA. I highly recommend getting into this field in some way. It is the new gold rush, the "green rush" get into it asap. Either farming, sales, making concentrates etc. It is growing extremely fast and will be legal everywhere sooner than you think. Don't waste time.

• Like 4

I saw some people taking about being a lineman and it seems to pay good espailly with ot, I've also been looking into being and electrician and later on starting my own business. But with your own bussiness you need money in order to make money so I'm sure I would have to work something out and be saving for maybe 7-10 years? Before I could start.

Yea linesmans make good money, the higher the voltage the higher the pay. I've worked with some guys setting poles in Toronto and they all drive nice lifted trucks but they travelled a lot. They would work Monday to Thursday and stay at hotels then travel home on Fridays or work half days.
Starting a business takes time but you can do it slowly. Start on the side and build up till you your side work takes over your regular work. Build up your tool collection especially when in co-op. The government will pay for a lot of your tools or you write them off at tax time. Talk to some old timers looking to retire and try to work with them but don't buy a business. Just as much to start on your own as it is to buy a business. Be good at what you do and word will spread through your family and friends. It's doable but takes time.

Yea linesmans make good money, the higher the voltage the higher the pay. I've worked with some guys setting poles in Toronto and they all drive nice lifted trucks but they travelled a lot. They would work Monday to Thursday and stay at hotels then travel home on Fridays or work half days.
Starting a business takes time but you can do it slowly. Start on the side and build up till you your side work takes over your regular work. Build up your tool collection especially when in co-op. The government will pay for a lot of your tools or you write them off at tax time. Talk to some old timers looking to retire and try to work with them but don't buy a business. Just as much to start on your own as it is to buy a business. Be good at what you do and word will spread through your family and friends. It's doable but takes time.

Thanks for the advice, one advantage I think I have is my dad is a construction site supervisor so he's got a lot of connections and knows people which helps a lot when trying to get a job and even more when starting a bussiness.

You mean to tell me that you don't want to smoke weed and play xbox all day while taking government hand outs????

WOW someone must have done some good in raising you lol

In all seriousness, there are plenty of great career paths still out there and some are just getting going if you have the drive. Technology is always evolving and there will always be a need for medical services (at least in our lifetime). Someone mentioned Military....which I am a pro-advocate for (USAF from 00-04 myself)

Currently I am a Supervisor for a very well known Fortune 100 company. I started low and worked my way up. But If I had to do it over I would probably have chosen something in the medical field while I served in the Air Force and went that route just because it has always been an interest of mine. I make over 6 figures now and have great benefits but my heart is not in my career. I have a family that depends on me so it is what it is and I love the people I work with so its not all that terrible.

Choose something that will not only provide financially but will be fulfilling to you as well. That's my advice.

Edited by BowHunter2400
  • Like 3

You mean to tell me that you don't want to smoke weed and play xbox all day while taking government hand outs????
WOW someone must have done some good in raising you lol
In all seriousness, there are plenty of great career paths still out there and some are just getting going if you have the drive. Technology is always evolving and there will always be a need for medical services (at least in our lifetime). Someone mentioned Military....which I am a pro-advocate for (USAF from 00-04 myself)
Currently I am a Supervisor for a very well know Future 100 company. I started low and worked my way up. But If I had to do it over I would probably have chosen something in the medical field while I served in the Air Force and went that route just because it has always been an interest of mine. I make over 6 figures now and have great benefits but my heart is not in my career. I have a family that depends on me so it is what it is and I love the people I work with so its not all that terrible.
Choose something that will not only provide financially but will be fulfilling to you as well. That's my advice.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not into smoking weed tough lol
  • Like 3

I'm not really into smoking or weed either. I am into money however. I ski, mountain bike, and fool around with my dirtbike, or ride sleds in my spare time. I come and go as I want. I make decent money enjoying life here in South Lake Tahoe. But hey, if you wanna play with power lines instead go for it. I'm just letting you know that this is a multi billion dollar industry and it is your generation that will be the next millionaires. I would say prepare for it or don't. It will happen either way. Good luck!!! Catch that wave!

• Like 2

I'm not really into smoking or weed either. I am into money however. I ski, mountain bike, and fool around with my dirtbike, or ride sleds in my spare time. I come and go as I want. I make decent money enjoying life here in South Lake Tahoe. But hey, if you wanna play with power lines instead go for it. I'm just letting you know that this is a multi billion dollar industry and it is your generation that will be the next millionaires. I would say prepare for it or don't. It will happen either way. Good luck!!! Catch that wave!

Something to look into/consider I'm in Ontario Canada and medical marijuana is legal here
  • Like 1