What do you dirtbikers do for a living??

Who do you fly for? 

As far as education, i don't have a college education, and my job pays plenty. Well into 6 figures. 

IMG_5366.JPG

That's why I said "want" , but not required. If you want to be competitive in the airline world, I'd say it's required. If your doing corporate or fractional type flying than it's probably not necessary. Depends on the individual employer.
As far as which airline I work for... I'll leave that at just a US airline... for obvious reasons.

That's why I said "want" , but not required. If you want to be competitive in the airline world, I'd say it's required. If your doing corporate or fractional type flying than it's probably not necessary. Depends on the individual employer.
As far as which airline I work for... I'll leave that at just a US airline... for obvious reasons.

Do you fly cargo or people?

13 minutes ago, Snirt said:

Yeah, I wasn't saying it's not required. Just showing an example that you don't have to have one to be successful. A few of the airlines have recently removed the requirement, but I honestly have no desire to apply for one. It'd take a long while to get back to my current pay, and our quality of life can't be beat. My last trip was almost 3 weeks ago, and it was 5 days in Cabo, and I got to take my wife. We stayed at a all inclusive, and still got international per diem. The actual schedule, and retirement are appealing, but the company I work for actually offers pretty good options for both. Not as good as the airlines, but good enough when combined with our quality of life, that I won't leave. 

Yeah, I wasn't saying it's not required. Just showing an example that you don't have to have one to be successful. A few of the airlines have recently removed the requirement, but I honestly have no desire to apply for one. It'd take a long while to get back to my current pay, and our quality of life can't be beat. My last trip was almost 3 weeks ago, and it was 5 days in Cabo, and I got to take my wife. We stayed at a all inclusive, and still got international per diem. The actual schedule, and retirement are appealing, but the company I work for actually offers pretty good options for both. Not as good as the airlines, but good enough when combined with our quality of life, that I won't leave. 

Oh I hear ya... it's whatever is right for you....

And yes a few have removed the requirement, but it's about being competitive among your peers. I personally don't know a single person that has been hired at a mainline carrier without some sort of 4 year degree. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It just doesn't help your odds... and no you don't have to have a degree to be "successful" what a subjective word... the most "successful" person in my eyes, that I know doesn't have any college experience.... to the original poster of this topic.. don't chase money, chase what you want to do everyday and you'll make plenty of money!

That's our family business. We're the techs that fix the Cncs when they need work. Cncs are pretty cool to get into, the technology is always growing

I wish you could fix ours! It drives me nuts.

We do have a guy in the building who's really good. Our shop has access to things that Holzher doesn't usually allow, so he has a lot of knowledge. Even been offered a job by them. But he's busy, so all my problems get pushed back until the machine actually breaks down and halts production.

Lol here's one that was my fault. You could say this one merited his attention

IMG_0227.JPG

Another pilot here. Great career field to get into - although, as mentioned, not easy to do. One avenue is through the military. You get all your training paid for, you will build flying hours, and while you will be gone a lot - sometimes to not very nice places - and there will be very long and stressful days at times, the flying and professional experience you get is unmatched and the pay as a military officer is very decent, especially as you move on in your career.

I'm beginning a transition over to the Reserves hopefully in the next year or so, and will soon get everything together to apply to the airlines. Over 13 years of active duty has mostly been great and I'm fortunate to have had the opportunities I've had, but the airlines are hiring and it's time for something new!

If this interests you, go to college, join ROTC, stay focused and do well, and get your commission and pilot training slot. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but if you're motivated, you can definitely do it.

• Like 2

You guys bustin' on the engineers... I don't know if it's true, but you're cracking me up lol!
I've always said the same thing about IT guys, and programmers. I was always surprised by how much I like computers and the IT field, because the techs and programmers are such weirdos (hmm, maybe I should reassess how I view myself??!)
It was the same with when I had my '68 RoadRunner and I would go to shows and cruise-ins. I love Mopars, but I'm serious, those guys who own them seemed to be the biggest bunch of arrogant buttholes I've ever seen (at least in North FL where I lived at the time).
Anyhow, I use to think maybe I'm the jerk with my view of IT guys, until I saw the Jimmy Fallon sketch on SNL. Guess I'm not alone. I love these sketches...
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11268?snl=1

+infinity on arrogant Mopar douchebags.

I think this is great topic and judging by the response the rest of community does too.

I work in wealth management (feel free to pm me money/investment questions). I totally fell into it. I came out of college with a political science degree and no idea of what I was doing. Been doing it since 1999. Myself and 6 other guys just opened up an independent firm after working for a bulge bracket for a while. We put a lot of thought into the future and what jobs will look like. The tech industry is looking to automate everything (even my industry) and we discuss the repercussions on the American job market.

I have two young boys. I'm going to encourage them to study the following: engineering (electrical, chemical, mechanical, structural, doesn't matter to me as the skill set can be transferable), computer science (don't know what this means but focus on whatever is hot in tech at time), math/statistics

I will also encourage them to learn design using a CAD based program, welding and basic mechanical/carpentry skills. I'm stunned at the number of people I know that don't know how to change tire.

Oh man, they're young, just wait until they wanna go to Art School or join the Peace Corps lol.

I'm in sales. I sell Industrial Valves and Control Systems. Power Plants, Papermills, chemical plants etc etc.

Knowing what I know now I think I should have gone to nursing school. Or a skilled trade like said above. Lineman is good. So is E&I (electrical and instrumentation) in a manufacturing plant. These guys are making more money than me. Also the elevator union is a good one as well.

I'm an mechanical engineer install contractor. left college at 22 now 26, the pay is good but it's hard work. If I was doing it again I think I would go down the medicine line or skilled trade. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, db330 said:

I'm an mechanical engineer install contractor. left college at 22 now 26, the pay is good but it's hard work. If I was doing it again I think I would go down the medicine line or skilled trade. 

You're from Ireland? Where about are you from? I was born in Wexford.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheKX500boi said:

You're from Ireland? Where about are you from? I was born in Wexford.

ah nice one, I from Dublin so not overly far. But like most Irish I'm living abroad at the minute, I live in the Netherlands now and plan on doing a stint in Australia the end of the year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, db330 said:

ah nice one, I from Dublin so not overly far. But like most Irish I'm living abroad at the minute, I live in the Netherlands now and plan on doing a stint in Australia the end of the year.

Ha the coincidence the other half of my family is from the Netherlands. I don't think I could live in Australia though. Too hot and too many things that want to kill you.