19" Front Wheel Questions...

Feeling the need to make my DRZ400sm more dirt worthy. I still need to commute, errand, adv, general everyday use. Was strongly considering going to a 2.5" (max) wide 19" front rim for better dirt-worthy steering especially in sandy situations. Currently on Shinko 705's and OE 17's. The rear is fine, the front is not. I have bicycle wheel building background so I was going to rebuild a 19" rim to the OE hub with new spokes and nipples. 

Questions:

Does anyone here have any experience on any bike with a 19/17 combo? Love to hear.

Can you really use a rear 19" mx wheel and re-lace it to the front hub?

My buddy did it to his kx500 and it helped immensely for riding in the dunes. As far as street use, I don't know how well it would work. Seems like a lot of weight in the front end. Were you planning on running a knobbie or a dual sport tire? I would definitely make sure you balance it well.

• Like 1

Thanks for that @ridesanoldbike . I live in the desert west. We have had an unusually wet winter. The dirt is dry, but the dirt has gone from normal hardpack/loose-over-hardpack to hard pack and sand (decomposed granite). And its nuts on a 120/70-17. With all my weight to the rear it gets old after wrestling the bike on and off for an hour or so. 

Was planning on Shinko 804, Mefo Explorer, K60 Scout or something along those lines because I still gotta slab this thing all over the place even though dirt is within 10 minutes of me.