GPS handlebar mount?

3 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

Montana rugged mount and ram ball works for me. I took the wiring and cut it short, put an sae plug on the mount so I can remove for my other bike.

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-0101165407-Handlebar-Montana-Monterra/dp/B0076MLF0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490367781&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+montana+handlebar+mount

13 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

OK I see what you have going there I think. The front half of the Amps mount looks just like the one I posted but it doesn’t have the back half on it.

So it looks like the ball mount screws to it but how does it mount on the handlebars?

3 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

Ok thanks, looks like a good setup. Nice bike BTW. Your GPS is extended pretty far up and the Garmin isn't what I'd call light, any problem with it bouncing around, vibration?

Here's my bike.

IMG_4584s.jpg

5 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

Your mount would work but its not powered.

Yea I'm trying to decide on the power thing. I have three batteries for the Garmin and a separate charger so I'm not sure I need it. Would be nice though. I'm just tired of wiring.

Maybe once a day it might move after a big hit, but its designed for the rough stuff. Its about 3 inches off the bars, closer to my old eyes. With the ball mount on the bars and plug I can grab it off the bike for lunch stops or remove for a hotel room. We do multiple day trips and I don't need batteries to worry about.

6 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

Maybe once a day it might move after a big hit, but its designed for the rough stuff. Its about 3 inches off the bars, closer to my old eyes. With the ball mount on the bars and plug I can grab it off the bike for lunch stops or remove for a hotel room. We do multiple day trips and I don't need batteries to worry about.

Thanks for all the advice. Does the power just attach to the mount and then plug into regular charging port on the GPS?

I took an sae cable (battery tender cable) and ran it to the handle bars. I then soldiered an sae end to the cut off cable from the mount. Both my bikes have an sae cable at the bars. Plug the battery tender in during winter, run the gps when needed. I bought some sae extender cables from ehay for a solar panel, 2 for less than $10. My gps stays attached to the mount, the mount unplugs from the bike at the sae cable. Once set up its easy to remove

7 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

I took an sae cable (battery tender cable) and ran it to the handle bars. I then soldiered an sae end to the cut off cable from the mount. Both my bikes have an sae cable at the bars. Plug the battery tender in during winter, run the gps when needed. I bought some sae extender cables from ehay for a solar panel, 2 for less than $10. My gps stays attached to the mount, the mount unplugs from the bike at the sae cable. Once set up its easy to remove

Thanks again. I have some decisions to make. I like the mount I first posted because it’s low and solid but I also think it might block my trailtech computer. The mount you are using has power and is more versatile.