YZ vs WR comparisons

We have a 04 YZ250f and 07 TTR-230 in the family.  The YZ has too much throttle/power for the trails we ride and hills my son and I try to climb.  The TTR has much more manageable "power" when climbing the slow, steep stuff that normally comes our way.  Is the WR's throttle response somewhere between the two bikes we own?

2 hours ago, freebird65 said:

We have a 04 YZ250f and 07 TTR-230 in the family.  The YZ has too much throttle/power for the trails we ride and hills my son and I try to climb.  The TTR has much more manageable "power" when climbing the slow, steep stuff that normally comes our way.  Is the WR's throttle response somewhere between the two bikes we own?

Not exactly it might have a little more torque than the YZ. But Yamaha 230's and CRF230's have A substantial amount of power and torque from just off idle. The other bikes have to be on their power band and then like to spin the tire on some steep slippery hills. 

Edited by stevethe

1 hour ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

They have lower gearing and flywheel weight like the ttr. I have spent considerable time on all of them. 

If you say so. I've ridden them both and think they are way different. 

4 hours ago, freebird65 said:

Ask Vortec in the CRF230 forum he had both a WR250 and a CRF230 in his garage. 

If you buy another 230 you should get the CRF as they do way more mods to them than the TTR's. There are easy motor mods and suspension mods. 

If you compare the Honda equivalents, the CRF230F (trail), CRF250X (enduro) and CRF250R (motocross)

when trail riding, the 250X is less prone to stalling than the 250R due to it's lower rpm power characteristics (cam, carb size, flywheel, gearing)

but it still has nowhere near the off-idle grunt a CRF230F has.

In slow tricky situations where a CRF250X needs a bit of clutch slip to stay in it's powerband and not stall out,

the CRF230F happily grunts on effortlessly. But once beyond off-idle, there is no comparison in throttle response and acceleration,

one is a mellow recreational trail bike, the other an MX based big-bore/short stroke rev happy engine slightly de-tuned for off-roading.

Although manageable, the 250X (WR equivalent) still requires good throttle control to prevent wheel spin in tricky situations.

I'm positive exactly the same caracteristics apply to the Yamaha TTR230, WR250F & YZ250F

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3