Stripped head bolt

Hi guys

I'm need some help. Has any one experienced a stopped cylinder head bolt?

It is such a tight space and normal tools can't get in the space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks20170324_143307.jpg

You should be using a 8mm socket with an extension and it should never strip, and only 84 inch lbs torque 

• Like 1

I agree...but its a little past that now.  I am trying to remove it...trying to find out the best way to get it out...

Edited by TPA-MX

Perhaps grind a slot in the head with a Dremel cut-off wheel and, use a large flat blade screwdriver to loosen it.

That sucks. Or somehow grind it or file it down smaller for a 7mm socket or 9/32" socket. Or really good sharp vice grips?  

I was thinking the same thing MLA.  Grind a slot and then use my impact driver and/or wrench to get it off.  

The smaller curved bars of the frame are REALLY making this job difficult!!  

I just want to replace the jacked up screw with a new one, so when I need to replace the piston, It will be easy. 

Edited by TPA-MX

So....New vice grips failed, I cut a slot, impact driver failed, infact the bolt broke the flat head tip of my impact driver! :(

I guess I will have to take it a welding shop and have them weld a rod to it so it can be loosened.  Grrr...

Place a nut on top it, weld the inside of the nut to the top of bolt with the mig. 

• Like 1

Place a nut on top it, weld the inside of the nut to the top of bolt with the mig. 

Great idea

What size would you recommend? There is just very little space to get a wrench or socket on it. Never done this, so any suggestions or advice would be great.

You could use a nut the same size as the head bolt also clean the zinc off before welding. I would also disconnect the ignition system just in case the mig stuffs it 

I'd leave it the way it is until you rebuild it. Like buildzall said, cut the head off of it. I'd personally use a dremel with the little 1" cut off wheels

• Like 1