XR200 parts on XR100

Ok folks, I am new here...well, I've been trolling for a few weeks now since purchasing my son a 2000 XR100.  Long story short, the bike needs a LOT of work...The front wheel doesn't fit between the forks right (has about a 1/4" gap) and has a brake disc but no drum on the wheel hub. There are no brake pads or cable hooked up for front brakes.  The rear brakes are also not hooked up at all, but the plate the covers the brake drum doesn't look right for this year either as it is a perfect circle and not the oblong shape that sticks out toward the front.  The sprockets and chain need replacing as well.  When I bought it, it had been running a couple weeks before, and I was told the chain popped off and hit the stator.  I verified there was no spark so I took the guy at his word (mistake) and bought it. Once I got it home and replaced the stator, spark was excellent but it still would not start.  I finally hooked up my compression tester to it and there is ZERO psi.  Now, assuming I can rebuild this thing (so far upon tear down I have found the cam shaft is actually loose in the race and there is a bent valve as well as scoring of the cylinder wall and piston)... I found listed locally a 1999 xr200 frame that has front and rear wheels with brakes intact and rear shock.  This finally brings me to my question...I have done some searching here and found where people put the smaller xr100 wheels on the larger xr200 bikes, but not the reverse...The guy with the 200 frame is only asking $150 and says it is negotiable. Assuming I can get it for $100-$125, will those wheels and brake setup fit my 100?  OR, would it be simpler (if possible) to just put my motor, tank, and seat on the XR200 frame? I learned my lesson that I will never purchase another non running motor again without bringing my compression tester along for the ride. (I did only pay $175 for the xr100 knowing it needed work).

Any help is greatly appreciated!  I basically need to know how compatible these two bikes might be.  Seems to me for me to replace the front wheel I'm looking at spending between $70-$150 for one in used condition, then at least another $100-$150 for the brake parts I am missing or need to replace.  That alone would pay for this 200 frame provided those parts are in usable condition and they can either 1) be used on my xr100 or 2) allow my 100 motor and stuff to mount on it.  I have attached a photo of the XR200 frame I am considering...

Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.14.08 PM.png

Edited by MTurner00
added photo

Nothing is interchangeable between a 100 and 200, completely different machine.  My suggestion would be to part the 100 out and make a couple dollars.  Then take the money and go buy as good a 100 as you can find, go through it from front to back catching up on needed maintenance.  Take care of it, and if you want to sell it will bring top dollar.  Wayyyyyyyyy cheaper in the long run .................. trust me!:thumbsup:

Old School Al

Damn...I priced out parts...providing my crank is still good, should be less than $400 to put motor back in shape. I can't find one anywhere near me for less than $700 in running condition.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, MTurner00 said:

Damn...I priced out parts...providing my crank is still good, should be less than $400 to put motor back in shape. I can't find one anywhere near me for less than $700 in running condition.

And then you'll still have at least $300-$400 more in misc costs to get the brakes back together.  The XR100 should be a drum front so you may need an entire new hub (probably get the entire wheel for cheaper) and then there's still the rear hub to deal with.  If it's got all of these issues, the wheel bearings and swingarm/shock linkage bearings are likely shot.  There's no telling what the suspension is like and how bad it's going to be. 

I bought my XR100 as a basket case and put at least $600 into it into the first 3 months and that was without any real engine work.  Apparently, I didn't learn my lesson as I picked up a basket case XR80 fairly recently and had to put $400-$500 into it just to get it up to speed on repairs and maintenance. 

On the other hand, if you're new to bikes, it could be a good learning experience.  It could also turn you off bikes forever.  You need to think about your time and resources and what you'd rather be doing.  Personally, I agree with Al.  I'd part it out and buy one that runs and doesn't need anything except gas.

If they can be bad at a good price, basket cases are generally good for spare parts on a running bike. I got one for $50 and thought I would rebuild it in to a second bike. Instead, it was a great resource for parts on our XR 120 big bore.  When I started pricing things out, that $50 bike would have been about $600 to make a solid runner.  What looked like a great deal for a bike ended up just being a great deal for parts 

• Like 1