When is the right time to bump up to a 450cc?

This topic has likely been covered before but I figure my situation is a little different.

Im 25 and weight 155lbs.
Currently I've got about a years worth of consistent motocross experience under my belt on a 2008 CRF250r. In addition to that I have about 3+ years of street riding experience on various 450cc supermotos'. My question is, when would it be appropriate for me to bump from my 250cc up to a 450cc for motocross?
Obviously a years worth of experience on a 250 means I haven't squeezed that bike of its full potential yet but recently I rode a friends yzf450 for a few laps at the mx track and was blown away how much more planted it felt compared to my 250. I'm guessing it was the increase of torque and possibly the small weight difference that made it feel that way. I felt very comfortable on the 450 but at the same time I was taking it easy and could also feel how much of a monster it really was on the mx track and would not be as forgiving as my 250. It may sound stupid but I almost felt safer being able to get over jumps not having to wind the bike out for all it had like some jumps on my 250.
Right now im recovering from a broken foot after a pretty bad crash at the beginning of the month so it's going to be a while before I ride again anyways.

The other reason I feel inclined to get a 450 is because in addition to riding mx, I would really like another supermoto. You just don't supermoto 250cc bikes its just not worth it. So at the end of the day, should the 450 on the mx track best be left to the much more experienced, or would a rider like me with a year under my belt get along well with a 450. I haven't ridden any of the newer models but I think there is a button to switch fuel maps to tame the bike down a bit. That would probably help the transition some. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Just get one.

I rode a year on an 02 YZ 125 and then jumped straight on a 13 crf 450; best decision ive ever made, dont get me wrong I love two strokes... but the 450 is something else

I'm a beginner and been riding for 14 months now. I logged 150 hours on my 250 in the first 12 months. I'm in the process of converting to a 2017 CRF450R and I love it. I too feel the difference between the 250 and 450 and like the characteristics of the 450 more. I'm also very glad I started on the 250 and not the 450. I think the larger rear tire also helps a lot. I too like the more planted feel of the 450.

And I will admit it. I'm older and not quite as willing to go death defying fast so the 450 helps a lot on some of the jumps to just give it a little extra throttle and you clear the jump no problem.

I have the multiple maps settings for both bikes. If you are worried about the power getting out of control you are better off staying in a gear higher and that fixes it for me.

Nobody that's not racing supercross and winning consistently is actually "ready" for a 450... you get it for the fun factor... it's like buying an aftermarket pipe for your bike... you never use the stock amount of power to its potential but buy it just for the sound or just to say you have it... if you want a 450 and had more fun on it, then buy one. I'm 23 and weigh 155lbs and I have a 2012 CRF450R and I love my bike. Will I ever use it to its full potential? Heck no! Will I ever use a 250 to its full potential? Heck no! Why did I get a 450? Because I felt like it... I wanted it, so I got it. It made me happy and that's all I cared about

• Like 2

So I think the general consensus so far is "is a 450 a good bike to start out on?" maybe not. But with some experience under the belt they can be controlled and aren't completely terrifying if you respect it's power. I've got 98hrs on my 250 from when I purchased it but I've got a feeling the 450 is the way forward. As I mentioned before, there are a few jumps at my local mx track that I have to be balls out wide open on the 250 to barely clear and on the 450 it was a blip of the throttle. I think that settles it, time for a 450 :thumbsup:

Edited by Leviathan I
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leviathan I said:

So I think the general consensus so far is "is a 450 a good bike to start out on?" maybe not. But with some experience under the belt they can be controlled and aren't completely terrifying if you respect it's power. I've got 98hrs on my 250 from when I purchased it but I've got a feeling the 450 is the way forward. As I mentioned before, there are a few jumps at my local mx track that I have to be balls out wide open on the 250 to barely clear and on the 450 it was a blip of the throttle. I think that settles it, time for a 450 :thumbsup:

Yep. I found out the problem then becomes the 450 wants to over jump the stupid short ones...

Oh, it is so easy and fun to "loft" the front tire on a 450. 

If I rode mx on more than just an occasional basis, I'd probably add a 450 mx'er to the garage. If you have good throttle control and can get past having a little bit extra weight, they are very easy to ride around a track. However, I ride offroad 99% of the time, so I stick to my 300 or my dual sport 450.

On 3/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, Emkjr93 said:

Nobody that's not racing supercross and winning consistently is actually "ready" for a 450... you get it for the fun factor... it's like buying an aftermarket pipe for your bike... you never use the stock amount of power to its potential but buy it just for the sound or just to say you have it... if you want a 450 and had more fun on it, then buy one. I'm 23 and weigh 155lbs and I have a 2012 CRF450R and I love my bike. Will I ever use it to its full potential? Heck no! Will I ever use a 250 to its full potential? Heck no! Why did I get a 450? Because I felt like it... I wanted it, so I got it. It made me happy and that's all I cared about

you sound so wise 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, OLHILLBILLY said:

The rule of thumb that applies to 1000cc sport bikes also applies here.. If you need to ask the question, "am I ready?", you're probably not.. :thumbsup:

Nuf Sed.