I've rode without boots on small trails and on streets for about 2 years. I recently got alpinestar tech 1 mx boots and I had trouble shifting and I was also applying the rear breaks when my feet were relaxed. I've been wearing my boots around very often ( I have walked a little over a mile to break them in) but I still can't ride comfortably. I'm guessing that I have to lower my brake pedal and raise my shit lever, but it could also be my foot placement. I have the arches of my feet on the pegs when I ride. Thanks for any advice you guys have! 

1 hour ago, CallMeAnsel said:

I've rode without boots on small trails and on streets for about 2 years. I recently got alpinestar tech 1 mx boots and I had trouble shifting and I was also applying the rear breaks when my feet were relaxed. I've been wearing my boots around very often ( I have walked a little over a mile to break them in) but I still can't ride comfortably. I'm guessing that I have to lower my brake pedal and raise my shit lever, but it could also be my foot placement. I have the arches of my feet on the pegs when I ride. Thanks for any advice you guys have! 

I know the feeling I'm going through the same thing so I'll see what people tell you! I have a very hard time breaking like I can't flex my ankle enough or something.  I also catch neutral a lot.  Maybe I bought the wrong boots I got some O'Neals for 100 bucks.   Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CallMeAnsel said:

I rode for 30 years without "motorcycle" boots, got my first pair 10 years ago. Sidi Discovery Rain's, a pretty bulky boot but suitable for both dirt and street and walkable.

Adjust your controls and you will get used to them. Then when you aren't wearing them when going for a quick spin, say after maintenance, things will be weird. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CallMeAnsel said:

Just gotta stick with it. Make the adjustments that feel better. Though riding in boots is annoying, riding with broken toes is worse... 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Monk said:

Just gotta stick with it. Make the adjustments that feel better. Though riding in boots is annoying, riding with broken toes is worse... 

C'mon Monk.......he won't take your advice ! :p

( just kidding OP)

Joe

• Like 9

I remember when I upgraded to linesman's boots.  I couldn't afford the price to get the soles "wedged".  after catching a heel really well I found a way to pay for the sole fix.   Wear the right boots for the occasion.  Know it is an adaptation,  and if the hardest thing you do is to get used to your riding/racing boots,  you may become a world champion.   Seriously,  lots bigger challenges to come. 

• Like 1

This is a common problem when people first try to ride with MX boots. In a nutshell.. It takes some getting used to. Keep riding with them and it will (believe it or not) become comfortable and normal feeling. A tip for upshifting.. Don't try to get your entire boot under the shift lever, just hook the outer end of the lever with the edge of your boot sole and flick it up. Brake side will just take the "getting used to" that I mentioned earlier.

Then there's "new boots". &%$#@! me, I hate new boots. You can be riding for 30 years, and the dead foot syndrome recurs every time you get new boots.. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

I think everyone goes through the same thing...first time you ride with MX boots you tell yourself "No way!"...but if you keep wearing them and get some riding time, before you know it...you are not thinking about it anymore!

• Like 4

I think the old saying... "you get what you pay for" applies to riding boots, especially off road. You get more comfort, feel, and protection for a premium hinged boot.
I won't ride dirt or street without riding boots anymore.

• Like 2

I bought a new pair of boots a few months ago after I left my Gaerne SG10's at the car wash. Even if you're used to wearing mx boots...when you get new ones it's problematic for a bit. When you get your very first pair of boots... the more you ride, two things will happen: You will get used to using the controls with the boots...and the boots will loosen up a bit more each time. I still miss my well worn in Gaerne's, even though I have this new pair pretty well worn in.

To those having trouble with boots, the first thing is your technique will have to be modified.. when you upshift without boots, you're probably used to using your ankle to get under the shifter and flexing your ankle to shift.. when you ride with boots, if seated with the ball of your foot on the pegs, you'll slide your foot forward under the shifter, then lift your knee up to upshift.. down shift is fairly straight forward... while standing, you'll be able to use your ankle just as you would without boots.. braking while seated with boots you will lift your entire leg and then only have the ball of your foot on the brake and nothing else.. if your boots are loose enough that you can upshift/downshift while seated just by flexing your ankle then they're probably worn out.. there's tons of videos on youtube to show you the proper way..

• Like 1

I've never had Tech 1's but I have been through several pairs of tech 3's and they are super stiff when you first get them. You are just going to have to keep wearing them and they will eventually start to loosen up. Wear them around the house and try to flex them at the ankles as much as you can. After a while they will feel great. I just bought my first high end pair of boots (Fox Instincts) but have yet to try them. They have a hinge at the ankle so I am expecting that I won't have the same issues I have with the tech 3's when new.

Like anything man you gotta break it in a bit.

I've got newer Thor boots not sure the model? But they broke in quickly.

I've seen pictures of someone wearing regular shoes, and laces got stuck in the drive sprocket, and quite literally took there ankle off! I'd be careful not using boots, you might get away with it on a quad but not on a bike.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:43 PM, trailmeisterjoe said:

C'mon Monk.......he won't take your advice ! :p

( just kidding OP)

Joe

You do know many of us have refrained, but with great difficulty, from using that very same line. :smirk:

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 1:22 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

I'd have metal plates and screws in my lower legs if I had ridden w/o good boots. You'll get used to them and in time, will feel nekked w/o them.

This.

I am at the point that I wont even ride the bike around gently for an oil change without helmet and boots.

People say "oh just take it easy", all it takes is a car to hit you, or you to miss something and go down. The laws of physics dont care if you were "taking it easy", and I am a real puss when it comes to the idea of splitting my head open, or de-gloving my foot.

uuuuhhhhggg... yuck.

• Like 3

I usually wear a pair of those checkerboard Vans. It easier for the EMT's to remove them as they load me on the gurney. Gnarly!

• Like 2

This.
I am at the point that I wont even ride the bike around gently for an oil change without helmet and boots.
People say "oh just take it easy", all it takes is a car to hit you, or you to miss something and go down. The laws of physics dont care if you were "taking it easy", and I am a real puss when it comes to the idea of splitting my head open, or de-gloving my foot.
uuuuhhhhggg... yuck.

+1

13 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

+1

Anybody who thinks different about wearing gear (especially on road) should put their hand on a belt sander.

Because that and more is what the ground is just waiting to do to you at 30km/h and up.

• Like 1