Riding in ID

Hey Folks! I know everyone likes to keep secret about good riding areas so maybe you can just keep it general??

Can anyone offer me some advice on riding in Idaho?

I'm in Seattle and trying to organize a trip for me and some friends from the East Coast. 

I was thinking VRBO a house in Boise and use that as a staging point to ride in Boise National Forest near Idaho City for a few days??

Would that work? Anyone done something similar? 

Or is riding better somewhere else? Is there good riding around Sun Valley?? 

Thanks for any and all input!

E

Edited by 2slow2furious

I'm sure lots of deadfall now. I forgot to mention this is end of June timeframe. I'm finding looks like theres some pretty awesome riding in/around Sun Valley/Ketchum...

Both places have great riding. I'm from the other side of the state and don't know it over there enough to give you actual advise but I don't think you can go wrong with Idaho city to sun valley to Stanley and feathervill etc. lots of good riding.

If you don't mind a couple hours drive north there's some of the best trail riding I've ever done around New Meadows, id. If you end up around lewiston, WSU or Courd a' lene there's a track called The Fossil Bowl in Clarkia, id, check out their site, there's a bunch of forest service out behind the track, you could ride forever and never hit the same trail, on top of that the track has one of the biggest drops in motorcross, somewhere around 110 ft I think. The track is solid Clay so it doesn't really rutt out, you can ride easy or haul ass, big track, lots of space for people to go around you. I will say hands down though the best trail ride I've ever been on was just south of Enterprise, Oregon. Call Outlaw Motorsports in town, they've got a trail club that does maintenance on a big section of forest, my cousin is the head mechanic for Outlaw, he took me out with him a few years ago, I would have gone back several times a year had my old XR not got stolen, I've got a crf250r now and I plan on going back soon. Good luck on the rides man

How about Southern Idaho around April 18th?

I'm going to tour the Western USA with my pickup truck my TE300 and FE450, should be a 3 week to 6 month trip, not sure yet...lol....probably 3-4 weeks.... but....

But I'm passing through Southern Idaho, Twin Falls on my way to Moab. Anything worth riding that is open and worthy of a day or two?

I'm hearing from a couple shops in Twin Falls and Boise that there's a ton of snowpack and any mountain riding that last week of June is going to be tough. Is that true you think??

39 minutes ago, 2slow2furious said:

I'm hearing from a couple shops in Twin Falls and Boise that there's a ton of snowpack and any mountain riding that last week of June is going to be tough. Is that true you think??

I'd plan on after July 4th this year. It's been epic for late snowfall. First you have melting, flooding, then cleaning deadfall then repairing trails that have disappeared from the washouts.

It's true around northern Idaho for sure. We are usually well into the mid hills by now......ain't happening for a few weeks.

How about Southern Idaho around April 18th?
I'm going to tour the Western USA with my pickup truck my TE300 and FE450, should be a 3 week to 6 month trip, not sure yet...lol....probably 3-4 weeks.... but....
But I'm passing through Southern Idaho, Twin Falls on my way to Moab. Anything worth riding that is open and worthy of a day or two?

If you were a little later in the year I would try to be a tour guide as you are driving through my back yard but April 18th all the good mountain riding is still covered in snow. The only stuff open is desert stuff that's isn't worthy of a special trip

On 3/24/2017 at 10:21 PM, 2slow2furious said:

I'm sure lots of deadfall now. I forgot to mention this is end of June timeframe. I'm finding looks like theres some pretty awesome riding in/around Sun Valley/Ketchum...

June?  Pack two chainsaws.

If you don't mind a couple hours drive north there's some of the best trail riding I've ever done around New Meadows, id. If you end up around lewiston, WSU or Courd a' lene there's a track called The Fossil Bowl in Clarkia, id, check out their site, there's a bunch of forest service out behind the track, you could ride forever and never hit the same trail, on top of that the track has one of the biggest drops in motorcross, somewhere around 110 ft I think. The track is solid Clay so it doesn't really rutt out, you can ride easy or haul ass, big track, lots of space for people to go around you. I will say hands down though the best trail ride I've ever been on was just south of Enterprise, Oregon. Call Outlaw Motorsports in town, they've got a trail club that does maintenance on a big section of forest, my cousin is the head mechanic for Outlaw, he took me out with him a few years ago, I would have gone back several times a year had my old XR not got stolen, I've got a crf250r now and I plan on going back soon. Good luck on the rides man

The Enterprise area just rules.

Up in Hayden, ID if you head up Nettleton Gulch Road, there's some pretty nice single track up in the mountains. Great hill climbs as well. Got plenty of easy riding and some fairly technical sections. Very rocky though.

6 hours ago, Justheman80 said:

Thanks for the info link! I'm gonna try and keep an eye on snow pack levels but I'm not hopeful that stuff will be rideable by end of June.

Even if the snowpack isn't a problem, I'm guessing dead fall and washouts will be. Maybe I need to figure out a way to mount my little Stihl MSA 200C...

On 3/27/2017 at 9:32 PM, 2slow2furious said:

Thanks for the info link! I'm gonna try and keep an eye on snow pack levels but I'm not hopeful that stuff will be rideable by end of June.

Even if the snowpack isn't a problem, I'm guessing dead fall and washouts will be. Maybe I need to figure out a way to mount my little Stihl MSA 200C...

I wouldn't count on end of June for the high country. I've put on organized rides in the Sawtooths every year since 1998. We normally shoot for the last week of July or first week of August and still would run into snow on some of the high passes. Another issue will be the high water flows in the many creek crossings. This year we have had from 130%-170% of normal snowfall. Just this morning I got almost 2" of rain at my house in the valley (2800'), temp right now is 36°. It will be snow not to far up into the hills. In my experience, 1" of rain equals about 1' of snow. In summary, it wouldn't surprise me if we are not able to ride over the high passes this year at all.
Photos are on Hwy 21 between Lowman and Stanley.

avalache_2.jpg.jpg

avalache_3.jpg.jpg

• Like 3

Get a saw mount from Bill Dart. Excellent quality and great customer service.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:32 PM, 2slow2furious said:

What bike are you riding? I have a four bolt fork mount that fits all KTMs prior to the new front fender design. It won't fit my 2014 200.