2012 ktm 200 xcw questions. Just purchased today!

I just bought a 2012 ktm 200 xcw today and im loving it. Fits me like a glove but i have a question maybe someone can help me get figured out. The previous owner ran motul 300 mix oil and i just bought motul 800 mix oil. Can i mix them together in the tank or do i need to run the 300 out first? Will it hurt to change to the motul 800 any? 

• 4 weeks later...

I mixed it and went straight to my first race on it and i had no problems. Got a win in my class too so it was an awesome day! I have another question now though. It has a lectron carb on it and it seems to be jetted pretty well but some things are confusing me on how it runs. The guy i bought it from said it wouldnt foul plugs and it didnt for about 3 weeks but now ive fouled 2, only at start up though. Mixing the motul 800 50:1. I notice its very rich and smokes alot when i first start it after its sat overnight but once its warm it runs fine but it seems to act like its running out of gas at times, like its running lean when im riding it decently hard. I dont know if thats just the nature of this bike or not because my buddy has the same bike just one year newer and his does it too and he doesnt foul plugs ever but he doesnt have a lectron carb either. Im thinking its just a idle jet issue but i dont know much about how to tune the lectron. Anyone know how i can lean it out at idle and maybe richen it a tad on the main or whatever it is for the lectron?

• Like 1

To lean the "pilot" you need to lengthen the metering rod by turning it 1/4 turn out. To richen the "main" or power jet you need to turn the screw on top out or counterclockwise 1/4 turn. There is sort of a process to tune the carb and a small special tool to turn the rod so you don't mark it all up with pliers. Now you can do it with pliers if you are very careful and protect the rod. There is a vid on YouTube called lectron tuning I believe. It shows how to setup and tune the carb. Very easy to do. Hope that helps.

53 minutes ago, nchsa219 said:

I mixed it and went straight to my first race on it and i had no problems. Got a win in my class too so it was an awesome day! I have another question now though. It has a lectron carb on it and it seems to be jetted pretty well but some things are confusing me on how it runs. The guy i bought it from said it wouldnt foul plugs and it didnt for about 3 weeks but now ive fouled 2, only at start up though. Mixing the motul 800 50:1. I notice its very rich and smokes alot when i first start it after its sat overnight but once its warm it runs fine but it seems to act like its running out of gas at times, like its running lean when im riding it decently hard. I dont know if thats just the nature of this bike or not because my buddy has the same bike just one year newer and his does it too and he doesnt foul plugs ever but he doesnt have a lectron carb either. Im thinking its just a idle jet issue but i dont know much about how to tune the lectron. Anyone know how i can lean it out at idle and maybe richen it a tad on the main or whatever it is for the lectron?

Like puddn said, turn the rod out (make longer) will lean it out, try 1/4 turn.  The power jet is for the upper rpm ranges, metering rod is for low-mid.

Make sure the flat side of the rod is facing the engine when you put it back together.  

Ok thanks alot for that. I just took the plug out and it had the least bit of unburnt fuel on it. Other than that the plug looks good. Its a nice golden brown maybe on the darker side but ive seen alot worse. I dont understand why it fouled by the looks of it but i cleaned it up and its running fine now. I think ill buy that little tool too.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey nchsa219....

I know this is an old thread but figured I would ask...  A friend of mine has a Lectron 36 that came off a KTM 300 that he is open to selling me.  I have a 2012 200xcw.   Can you let me know what metering rod you have in the Lectron on you bike and which model of lectron it is?  thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, jmaynard11 said:

Hey nchsa219....

I know this is an old thread but figured I would ask...  A friend of mine has a Lectron 36 that came off a KTM 300 that he is open to selling me.  I have a 2012 200xcw.   Can you let me know what metering rod you have in the Lectron on you bike and which model of lectron it is?  thanks in advance.

Don't forget to take a look at SmartCarb.  I had my finger hovering over the purchase button for a Lectron when I discovered the SmartCarb.  It uses the same principles, but seems like it's had some refinement and updates.  I'm VERY happy with the SmartCarb and would recommend taking a look at them before you pull the trigger on the Lectron.  It came tuned for my bike, albeit a little rich.  Started on the first kick.  After about 6 hours of break-in, I leaned it out and now it's awesome.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, jmaynard11 said:

Hey nchsa219....

I wish i could help you but i sold the bike about a year ago. I have no idea what model carb it was or metering rod. It was a good carb though. Had zero issues with it.

On 3/26/2017 at 3:35 AM, nchsa219 said:

Idk why i thought it was motul 300. This is it. Motul 710. Can i mix the 710 with 800?

512158979.jpg

I would recommend sticking with the 710 if your trail rider.  It has a much lower flash point and burns off nicely.  The 800 is more of a racing oil.  I would run that if you riding moto or a lot of fast high speed riding.  

I run the 710 and have been extremely happy with it.  I've replaced a couple top ends with it and everything looked great inside.  I've never had a power valve stay so clean either (after 150 hours or so).  

11 hours ago, jmaynard11 said:

How did the carb affect the power of the bike?

I bought the bike with it installed. Never rode it with the stock carb, didnt even get the stock carb with the bike. My buddy has a 13 200 though and has a jd jetting kit installed. To be honest i didnt mess with the lectron much but there was a real difference in how our bikes rode. In my opinion, however the lectron was setup, it seemed better for tight woods riding/ slower pace and my buddys 200 seemed better for racing, much crisper and (electric like) throttle it felt like to me. I could feel the hit into the powerband way more on my 200 than my buddys though, which is alot smoother to me. I adjusted the PV all over the place too and it was always a more noticable hit on mine with the lectron. Mine with the lectron didnt spooge or smoke very much at all with the motul 800 but i ride fast most of the time, dont lug around much. My buddys though with the stock carb always smokes alot and spooges a bit. Theres so many different factors to all this though, hope all this is somewhat helpful for you though.

11 hours ago, GlennE said:

I would recommend sticking with the 710 if your trail rider.  It has a much lower flash point and burns off nicely.  The 800 is more of a racing oil.  I would run that if you riding moto or a lot of fast high speed riding.  

I run the 710 and have been extremely happy with it.  I've replaced a couple top ends with it and everything looked great inside.  I've never had a power valve stay so clean either (after 150 hours or so).  

I tried the 710 too. It seemed to work well for the time i used it. I just prefer the 800s smell and also i was riding fast enough to be able to use it. Very good oils in my opinion.

12 hours ago, nchsa219 said:

I tried the 710 too. It seemed to work well for the time i used it. I just prefer the 800s smell and also i was riding fast enough to be able to use it. Very good oils in my opinion.

After selling the bike did you find another horse to replace it??

On 4/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, gdwrench said:

After selling the bike did you find another horse to replace it??

Yes, went to a 4 stroke. 250sxf. It has been great so far. Still miss a 2 stroke at times though.