Who else still does this?

1 hour ago, biglake said:

I still wire my grips. I run bark busters so the ends are cut off the grips, without wire on the out side edge of the grip they slowly peel back and come loose over time.

This. I glue then wire. 

• Like 2

I clean the bars with a wire wheel on a drill. Then I've started using permatex weatherstrip adhesive and allow to cure before sliding on the grips and letting setup and its been working great for me.

In the past I bought some stainless steel snare wire and tried a combo of multiple wraps in 3 or 4 places using needle nose pliers but it never seemed to work for me though having the right tool might have helped

I use grip glue and double strands of wire on both ends and centre of each grip. I've never had any problem with any grip ever twisting or coming off. It's probably overkill, as renthal bars have knurled ends anyway.

What are the ODI Lock on grips like and how do they actually work?

For a long time I have used that plumbers cloth that looks like gauze but feels like steel files.  Then you can use about anything that goes on wet and dries semi hard.  Permatex gasket sealer,  or "Cat glue" holds anything.  Cheap.  Occasionally I have a need to wire some,  but hardly ever anymore.   This coming from a guy who had them both come off in a midair jump in my early racing days.   Dougherty's if anyone can recall them.  Soft.  Gripping them puckered them. Water and mud find "puckers" like nothing else will.   First race with them,  and no one seemed to be gluing or wiring in 1969.  Do you know that if you pull them both off like that,  you may assume a position that one of my friends said was an 'iron cross',  and that if you are like me your reflex will be to try to put them back on?  

Edited by ossagp