2016 KTM SX250 for woods riding

Hey gents, just wanted to see if anyone is using the 250 SX for woods riding, and if so what mods did you do to make it better for this application?

...on a side note I'm looking to kinda de-tune it, I already broke my left wrist and I'm still in a cast.  

Thanks for any in put you may have.

I do. I kept my 19" rear since I still ride mx also. Have

Acerbis handguards and skid plate

Lectron carb

11oz steahly flywheel weight

14/50 gearing

Kreft suspension

FMF factory with power core silencer

Yellow pv spring one turn in from flush

These mods allow my bikes powerband to be very long and linear with almost no "hit". The flywheel weight allows me to coast down hills and take corners between trees with less clutching and a lot less stalling. The only thing o do not have is a larger tank, which for the rides I do in the woods is not necessary with the lectron. The sx is also so light it feels like a mountain bike in the woods. It's really set up well and wasn't very expensive for those mods

How hard was it to tune the PV to avoid the abrupt hit? 

I appreciate all the input. I do have a skid plate on order, and a case saver. I also have an o-ring chain. My problem is that this is my first bike in over 20 yrs.... basically a retirement gift! ??

The pv tuning is as easy as a 6mm socket, remove two bolts and pull out spring. Slide new spring in and tighten two bolts. There is a brass dolly that has a square Robertson drive type fitting to adjust the preload. Ktm sells a tool through RM for like $8 or use a screwdriver. Work that brass fitting in and out a turn in and you will see a big difference in power delivery. My experience is the yellow and green springs take the hit out and make the powerband longer. The red spring has an abrupt hit and needs to be short shifted.

These new ktms are so adjustable between power valves, jetting and flywheels. I would recommend looking into a flywheel weight I really love mine. The lectron carb doesn't hurt either haha has made a great improvement in fuel mileage and no more changing jets.

I am speaking directly from my own experience, as I ride/race a 250 sx in the woods.

For the motor, the best thing you can do is way cheaper than the things mentioned above--buy an XCW head (not an XC head--make sure it's the XCW) on ebay.  You should be able to get one cheap, as nobody wants the XCW head (mine was $50).  Even if you have to buy new, it should be real cheap.  Double check to be sure, but I believe any head going back to 08 or so will fit.  Don't worry about this mod having too much effect on power.  Your bike will still be stupid fast, and way more than 99.9% of guys need in the woods, but the power will be much more linear and easier to control.   I also like the throttle cam system, and found it far more effective than a FWW.  The FWW is usually one of my "go to" mods for MX bikes in the woods, but it had a surprisingly small effect on my SX.  I would not buy one again.  Powervalve settings are a preference.  Get out there and try them.  

Even more important than the engine mods--get your suspension revalved for woods!  It will be the best money you ever spend on a bike.

Edited by rpt50

I currently ride a 2008 250sx in the woods and here is what i have done.

1. Suspension re-valve and re-sprung

2. proper jetting

3. Yellow PV spring 2 turns in on the dolly

4. Throttle cam system. I use the 200 or the 300 cam.

5. leave the ignition wire unplugged

6. I prefer the FMF Q stealth spark arrestor. It's a bit longer and takes some of the snap out of the bike.

7. Bigger tank

8. 13/50 gearing, stock is 13/48

9. All the normal off road protective gear

I prefer the stock head and CDI. I tried the XCW head and felt it took some of the low end grunt away that the motor has with the SX head

Edited by Hedo

1 hour ago, Hedo said:

I currently ride a 2008 250sx in the woods and here is what i have done.

1. Suspension re-valve and re-sprung

2. proper jetting

3. Yellow PV spring 2 turns in on the dolly

4. Throttle cam system. I use the 200 or the 300 cam.

5. leave the ignition wire unplugged

6. I prefer the FMF Q stealth spark arrestor. It's a bit longer and takes some of the snap out of the bike.

7. Bigger tank

8. 13/50 gearing, stock is 13/48

9. All the normal off road protective gear

I prefer the stock head and CDI. I tried the XCW head and felt it took some of the low end grunt away that the motor has with the SX head

steps 2 and 3 are a must

to the OP if you jump on you tube and search "cross training and enduro techniques " they just did some reviews and set up tips for a ktm 250sx to a enduro/woods bike

Great responses! Thanks to all!

i put my new bars on today, had to have the boy help me out since I am still casted... cut them down 2 inches, fits between trees better... I'm going to play with the power valve tomorrow. Loving the bike!  It's nice to be an owner of one again ! I hope my Cast is coming off this week!!

Edited by trooper8520
  • Like 1