1983 Xr350 Transmission Rebuild Issue

Hi all

I'm looking for any help with assembling my transmission. Does anybody have pictures or step by step guide they can share with me? I have the manual but it doesn't seem to be helping. A couple questions that stand out:

Should all the shift forks marking face to the left?

When the gears are all assembled without the shift forks installed, should the gears all line up and spin freely?

I've assembled and disassembled this a couple times now and every time I try to run it through the gear on the bench it doesn't shift all the way up or down or the shafts will spin and then bind up.

I have the service manual but find it very vague in this area.

Please, any help would be appreciated

Thank-you

Edited by dbos

You may know what bike your working on but nobody else has a clue?

Maybe post year and model and someone might be able to help you sort out your problem.

You may know what bike your working on but nobody else has a clue?
Maybe post year and model and someone might be able to help you sort out your problem.

Haha yup that might help, sorry about that.

It's an 1983 Xr350
  • Like 1

It goes like that. Clean well gears with gasoline, blast them with air ang LUBRICATE ALL SURFACES BEFORE installation, because dry gears hard to shift.

Do not look at which gears are turning or not, because you would have to understand the construction and working of the entire box. The gearbox is supposed to work after assembly. To test this, insert whole box, assembly both cartridges with two screws, install # 6,7 and 8 from this diagram http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1983/XR350R+A/SHIFT+DRUM+%2B+SHIFT+FORK/parts.html     and shift lever. Turning the countershaft (or sprocket on it) try  change the gears. Then you will be able to tell if the gearbox running or not.

Make sure you have a blinded right end of countershaft with a metal cap (same plug is on left end of camshaft). I did not had it (donno why) so I stucked with a hammer a piece of aluminum there. There goes oil from the pump (from litle tube ) and goes into countershat to lubricate the gearbox wheels from the inside.

P1240919.jpg

xx (1).jpg

xx (4).jpg

Edited by KrisKris