Western Slope Ideas

Hi all,

Somehow I've lived here a decade and never dirtbiked the western slope, although I have mountain biked it.

I'm looking for some GJ/Fruita /Rabbit Valley suggestions for an intermediate rider. I use a lot of National Geographic maps and Stay The Trail website for guidance.

Thanks! Also, if anyone wants to go in April/May before it gets too hot I'm open to meeting up. I'm in Denver.

Thanks!

Rabbit Valley and Western Rim, Butterknife and Sarlacc in GJ, ton of good stuff out there. I might be interested in showing you around. Know some locals that would prolly ride with us as well. G

• Like 1

second Rabbit Valley. enough there to ride for a few days, from easy flat two track to reasonably technical (trail 8)

Things there that are good skill builders:

Trail 1, the sand wash will help you build some speed in deep sand. lots of tight sandy turns

Trai 2, from the main staging area towards the east side of Western Rim. starts as two track, peels off to a short section of singletrack.

Trail 6, a very fun but short singletrack, roller coaster style right off the Kokopelli trail

Trail 8, first half is easy, sandy and pretty whooped out. Second half is more rocky, and areas of exposure at the edge of the box canyon

Western Rim, scenic and fun. Not very hard, couple rock ledges to go up/down depending on direction you take

Overlook/Arch loop to the west towards Westwater. great singletrack

Zion's Curtain- recommend taking this from the north side of I-70 towards overlook/western rim. easier that way.

We were just there, on a family focused trip- sorry we did not throw out any invites. Camp there, or hotel it in Fruita. My girls can ride all this stuff, so you should have no problem.

• Like 2

Catmanz
Heading up there in mid-late April. You are more than welcome to meet up and go for some rides. Planning on camping NW of the airport and riding from there and prob will do some day trips towards Delta and Rabbit Valley. PM if interested

Great suggestions. Thanks Red Hurricane and 450xcw. I'll look into those. Splat, I'll send you a PM. I might be able to get others to join too if you're up for it. They're on this thread and mostly reasonable human beings.

Check out Hubbard Mesa and JQS in Rifle.  Lots of fun.

You can find info on the trails on the town website as well as looking on Mountainbikeproject.com because a bunch of the trails are shared with Mtn bikes.

I just started riding out here after living out here almost 10 years.  I really enjoyed riding Westwater and the West Rim trail.  

Edited by motoracer51

+1 for Rabbit and +1 for Hubbard Mesa in Rifle.  Both are a lot of fun and should be dry unless a big storm comes through.