81 XR200R Dowel Pin Help

Hello All,

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1981 xr200r engine and I have one Dowel Pin (10x14) with a hole in it that came from the Crankcase or bottom of the Cylinder.  I can't find a parts diagram showing where it goes.  It also looks like the part is now obsolete.  I figure oil passes through it and it is probably fairly important as to where it goes.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

Thanks

The XR200 engines used a number of hollow dowel pins to locate the cylinder and head. Oil does pass thru the right rear cylinder  stud space to the cylinder head. Early engines  use three 10x20 dowels on the head plus an O ring on the right rear stud, and two 10x14 dowels on the cylinder and left crankcase.

15 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

The XR200 engines used a number of hollow dowel pins to locate the cylinder and head. Oil does pass thru the right rear cylinder  stud space to the cylinder head. Early engines  use three 10x20 dowels on the head plus an O ring on the right rear stud, and two 10x14 dowels on the cylinder and left crankcase.

Thanks Chuck. This particular dowel has a small hole drilled through the side of the dowel.  I have acquired three different heads/cylinders and 2 sets of cases and have a few of the same dowel pins with holes in the side of them and can't figure out an exact placement for them.  I can follow the oil paths up through the long studs and the need for the o ring around one of the dowel pins, as oil passes to the camshaft, but it doesn't seem like a pin with a hole in the side should be placed there.  The old part number is:

#13 on  a crankcase parts diagram

PIN, DOWEL (10X14) (NOT AVAILABLE)

90701-446-650

If I try to order new ones the part is superceded and does not have a hole drilled through the side?  They call all the dowels the same #13 (partzilla)  

I have an original Honda shop manual for the 81 XR200r and it is of no help either on this matter.

90701-446-650 That part number is only listed for the 1981 XR200R. I've never had a problem with a Honda superseded part number.  Honda has changed the dowels to a Honda Standard part, the current part numbers are; 94301-10140 (10x14) and 94301-10200 (10x20). The first part of the number is Honda's standard number for a hollow dowel, the first 4 digits of the last part are the dimensions, e.g. 1020 is 10x20.