2017 300rr speedo magnet

So I noticed yesterday the magnet on front wheel is messed up. The actual magnet that mounts in the red holder must have gotten caught somewhere and was hanging on my rotor. It looks like the red aluminum holder has too much free play and came into contact with the caliper bolt(s). Here are some pictures of my setup currently. Anyone else have this issue?20170325_172936.jpg20170325_172958.jpg20170325_173005.jpg

Mine got a little boogered up but I think it was caused by a rock that kicked up. Mine does fit a little loose but so far (1,000 miles) hasn't came in contact with the caliper bolt though.

Exact same thing happened to mine with less than 10 hours from new and there are no rocks where I live and ride. I think there may be 2 issues - firstly the retaining ring does not hold the red holder tight in the disc. Also the factory magnets aren't crimped in very well. I purchased a new one and it had clearly visible crimps holding the magnet in - different to the factory one. I also used a small washer to shim up the play under the circlip.

Thanks guys!! I think I'll gorilla glue the magnet back into the holder and do like berto300 and add a washer on the circlip side. Glad I'm not the only one, although seems like a pretty easy thing for them to prevent from the factory. Glad my front wheel didn't seize up when the magnet got jammed in there.

On a related topic, anyone else's front rotor seem slightly out of true? If I spin my front wheel it seems to get hung up on the rotor in one spot.

Do your caliper bolts have washers on them ... I only ask because they should.

Second, the magnet is intended to float in the disk, hence the the spring washer.

Caliper bolts have washers as well as the pickup for the speedo. It seems like the washer it came with on the magnet holder was not nearly as thick as what the manual calls for. I found another washer that completely fills the remainder of void so now the holder does not move, has plenty of clearance at the caliper bolt and pickup, and still seems to trigger the pickup so it counts on the speedo ( i spun it by hand and it activated speedo). I think it's good to go now.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:31 PM, techguy82 said:

Caliper bolts have washers as well as the pickup for the speedo. It seems like the washer it came with on the magnet holder was not nearly as thick as what the manual calls for. I found another washer that completely fills the remainder of void so now the holder does not move, has plenty of clearance at the caliper bolt and pickup, and still seems to trigger the pickup so it counts on the speedo ( i spun it by hand and it activated speedo). I think it's good to go now.

Is this still working out?  I only have a few hrs on mine, but I saw that it was pretty loose in the holder.  Just wanted to check in for an update!

Is this still working out?  I only have a few hrs on mine, but I saw that it was pretty loose in the holder.  Just wanted to check in for an update!

Added another 8 hrs or so to the bike and its been holding up fine so far.