Fuel boiling inside tank

Went riding for the first time this year, 70* outside light overcast. Arrived around 11am and all was good, around 145 or 2pm I noticed I was getting a bog coming off idle which is odd because my bike never does this. While waiting for my son to catch up I heard what sounded like water boiling. Looked around and the radiator was fine just then my son caught up and away we went.few minutes later I stop around and now heard water boiling but smiled gas! Looked around and I can see gas dripping down the front fender around gained onto the header...so I go and take the fuel cap off ad this is what I see!

View My Video

So like I said 70* at sea level, fresh ail filter oil change and engine ice, carb properly adjusted and riding Sea level here in new jersey. Was doing single track (second time ever for the 450) and ever couple loops I'd stop shut bike off and wait for my 10year old to catch up to me

My drz400e has never done this and I've owned it new since 2003 and ride this same spot all the time, now I know my 450 isn't really a woods bike but I've never had this happen before on a track or during open riding. I could literally feel the heat coming through the shrouds while I had my legs pressed up against them riding and the bike kept getting worse with the off idle bog and stalled about three or four times randomly afternoon noticed the boiling 

Edited by superdutyscaler

No direction for me to go too? I checked radiator fluid today and that was full, oil level fine, going to check plug later. Just ordered sticky heat reflecting tiles for the bottom of the tank. If not I could have a valve too tight?

Come on nothing at all? Been searching Google and I'm finding a lot of maybes on the problem but most are on fuel injected bikes....

If ur going to be riding a lot w the kiddo reflective heat tape the heck out of the tank and maybe a rad fan

Went riding today to a different  spot that are just Trails no single track before we left I checked the anti-freeze it was low below the fins when you look inside the fill opening so I drained fluid and did a complete flush and refill, I also changed the air filter which wasn't dirty and an oil change. I checked the gas cap and it wasn't clogged I could blow through it, so bike was fine all day never got hot or missed or stalled at all and it was around 70 degrees again Just like the other day. Maybe because the antifreeze was low that caused the problem because I didn't check it before we went? My brother came with us and he drove my drz400e and after an hour or so we switched bikes and he drives Full Throttle all the time and the 450 was still fine and never got hot or overheated 

Edited by superdutyscaler

Low coolant has no way of effecting the fuel tank unless it actually overheats the motor. If your fuel is boiling that means there is too much heat getting to it meaning you need a barrier to protect the tank from the heat radiating off of the motor.

I could see the low coolant level affecting gas temps slightly, but that head and radiators would have had to of been burning up for a long time to get the fuel to boil. Generally speaking...93 octane boils at 205 degrees possibly higher depending on ethanol mixture. I would be questioning if your water pump/impeller is working properly. The heat shield should help, but that doesn't sound like it's going to fix the real underlying issue. Water pump is the only thing that comes to mind, other than crappy coolant or a lot of air bubbles.

• Like 1

Like I said only thing I seen was that the coolant was below the fins looking into the fill cap opening. I run engine ice since I took her off the showroom floor and change it ever year. I haven't been back maybe this weekend again, and after the ride the other day I checked the coolant level after we got back and bike was completely cooled and it was maybe a 1/4" below the fill cap

I didn't check the coolant pump I'll do that tomorrow and see if I have a nice flow through the radiator. I usually do this just by looking into the fill opening 

Figured it post an update on what I found,  checked the flow of the coolant wirh the engine running and it seemed fine to me. So I topped her off and rode at the river bank,  tide was out so I had about two miles of new jersey course  sand to play on. Was Into the throttle all day flat tracking on the sand and having some fun making power burms, late in the day noticed bike felt hot again to me. So loaded up and went home I checked the coolant level and it was below the top layers of fins looking inside the radiator cap! It took a good 16oz maybe more to level the two radiators out. Now skip forward two month's till this morning I wanted to ride the 450 again since I've been on my drz400e lately but I have this fear the 450 is gonna blow up or something. So while debating my ride choice I noticed my radiator pressure kit on the pegboard and thought I so set if one of the adapters will work on the bike? WELL WHAT DO YOU KNOW ONE ADAPTER FITS THE TWO SUZUKIS LIKE A GLOVE! started to pump and around 10psi I smelt coolant...looked around and didn't see anything? Pumped her up to 20psi and the gauge just kept dropping....looked again and FOUND IT the cross over coolant hose that goes Into my zipty racing aluminum Y was dripping! So I drained the coolant removed the hoses and Y and Inspected my barely one year old hoses didn't see anything so I reinstalled them and made sure the clamps were tight this time. Put 20psi on the  system and set the timer on my phone...ten minutes later I had 20psi STILL! WOOHOO so I'm assuming I either didn't duly snug the one clamp almost a year ago and after the fill up I rode the bike and never noticed the drip or smell on the head pipe and that one day it just have gotten hot enough to boil the fuel. I'm gonna ride the 450 this week after work and see how she is, at least I know the head gasket is still ok