2016/2017 WR450F spring rates and valving

Thank! But isn't that the FX valve spec? I thought the WR was supposed to be even softer.

That is the WR spec.  Here is the FX spec sheet.  FWIW, my 450FX had 18 compression face shims, not 16.

450FX <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/1299/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=1299' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>kyb</a> spec sheet.png

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Got it. Very subtle differences. I can see why I thought it was the FX spec. Thanks again.

Great info MidlifeCrisisGuy!

Any chance you have the 2016 WR250F valve specs as well?

Thanks!!

Hey, Knowlegable Ones. 

Any idea what the OEM spring rate is for the small pressure springs in the base valve? 2016 WR450F  

Cheers, Gaz. 

22 minutes ago, Ghazzah said:

Hey, Knowlegable Ones. 

Any idea what the OEM spring rate is for the small pressure springs in the base valve? 2016 WR450F  

Cheers, Gaz. 

As most 2014+ YZ450F's, a .pdf version I have of KYB parts catalog shows the 2015- WR450F

to have 22N (Newton) ICS springs (which equals about 2.2kg/mm), 2016+ are likely unchanged

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Thanks, mlatour. Very useful info. I have ordered some softer ICS springs to take the edge of square-edged bumps, reduce deflection etc. 2.2kg is a pretty strong spring, no wonder my humble riding ability is struggling with this area of the fork's performance. 8^)-

Hey, Team. Just finished pulling my '16 WR450 down for a re-valve, re-spring, shock-linkage and wheel bearing maintenance. I can confirm that the NZ/Australian spec forks have exactly the same shim stacks as detailed in MLCG's tables above. I am yet to pull the shock down but will double check shim specs when I do. RT gold valve going into the shock. 

I'm dropping to 4.2kg/mm FRSPs (from 4.6kg/mm OEM) with super-light 1.0kg/mm Pressure Springs and valving (RT Gold Valves C&R) for 'An Old Guy Wobbling Slowly Along Single Trails'. Yamalink Trail fitted (Yes, I am a Skinny Hobbit at 165lb/75kg, 5'7"/172cm) with a 6.1kg/mm Factory Connection spring (effectively a 5.3kg/mm (down from 5.7kg/mm OEM) factoring in the 15% leverage 'softening' due to the YL. I fitted 1.0kg/mm pressure springs to my old '15 YX250FX and they made a heck of a difference. Virtually eliminated all of the deflection issues that were going on, especially through rock gardens etc. 

Spring rates front and rear softened by approx 8-10% to get my race sag perfect. Even when loaded with gear, the OEM springs were too stiff for good sag levels. I clearly need to eat more burgers. I'm running standard oil levels at the moment, but will probably drop the fork's main chamber level by 5mm-10mm when I reassemble. Using Yamaha S1 suspension fluid for the forks (around 15 cSt @ 40 degrees Cel.) 

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion about my proposed suspension mods. Always open minded. 

Cheers, Gazza. 8^)-

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

Z.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017-09-15_at_7_28.51_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-09-15_at_7_21.38_PM.png