Sign in to follow this  

Missing steel clutch plate?

Bought a used 2016 250 sxf with 30 hours and the clutch seemed gone to me. When I pulled the cover, there was 7 steel plates and 7 friction plates, starting with a steel plate. The clutch kit I purchased came with 8 steel plates and 7 friction plates. My service manual didn't appear to specify the correct quantity, however I installed all 8 steel plates and 7 friction plates. Seems to ride fine.  Is this correct? I purchased this bike used from a Pro with two full time mechanics so I'd be surprised if they installed the clutch wrong but I'm unsure

Edited by bbohannon

Below is the diagram of your bike via Rocky Mountain site.  You can see how many of each plate you should have.  Also note that the first and last plate are 0.4mm thinner than the other inner disks so you will want to make sure you have the correct plates on the inside first and the outside.  Also make sure you didn't have one more plate stuck inside the basket but didn't notice it when you reassembled.

You should have a total of 8 steel plates.  Two of which are the thinner plates.

That means 7 friction plates total (fiber disks).

You can see how many of each in the diagram below indicated by the "tag" numbers.

Inner steel plates: Tag #5 = qty 6

Outer steel plates: Tag #6 =  qty 2

Friction plates: Tag #7 = qty 7

2016 250 sxf clutch.JPG

Edited by Zip-tyDuctTape
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 2:15 PM, Zip-tyDuctTape said:

Below is the diagram of your bike via Rocky Mountain site.  You can see how many of each plate you should have.  Also note that the first and last plate are 0.4mm thinner than the other inner disks so you will want to make sure you have the correct plates on the inside first and the outside.  Also make sure you didn't have one more plate stuck inside the basket but didn't notice it when you reassembled.

You should have a total of 8 steel plates.  Two of which are the thinner plates.

That means 7 friction plates total (fiber disks).

You can see how many of each in the diagram below indicated by the "tag" numbers.

Inner steel plates: Tag #5 = qty 6

Outer steel plates: Tag #6 =  qty 2

Friction plates: Tag #7 = qty 7

2016 250 sxf clutch.JPG

Wow this is extremely helpful and I don't know why I didn't think to go look at a parts fische. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I can almost bet I didn't notice different thickness steel plates so I will dive back in and check. Thanks again!