Shifter/Tranny Issue Question

I need some arvice on what "might" be wrong with my 06' YZ250F.

What happened - So today we went trail riding and i was not riding too hard (as in rough trails). My bike was running GREAT up until the last time we went back out to go ride (after break for food). Anyways, my bike was running good until we gotto the trails, but right when we got to them my bike wouldnt go out of 1st gear. I tried to see if something was "jammed" under the shifter but nothing. It wont go up or down or anything (froze solid). 

Any help or ideas of what "might" be wrong would be very helpful before i send it to the shop and have to pay a lot of money to be fixed for "possibly" some 5 minute fix. 

:)

The only time I have had a bike stick in gear was a 12 ktm300 that I had tipped over and pushed the shifter into the engine enough to disable it. A quick whack and pull on it and it moved out a little and all was fine. 

How much time does your transmission have on it? This is what I would do-

Put the bike on a stand.  Remove the clutch cover, clutch, and entire right side outer clutch cover. Now you will be able to see the other side of the shift shaft and the spring on it as well as the shift pall. Look and see if anything is broken or out of place. If it all looks good, you are gonna have to take the motor apart and get into the transmission and see what is going on. I have heard stories of guys having teeth shear off the main transmission shaft spline and the pieces get lodged into the shift drum causing the bike to get stuck in gear. 

Edited by Dan105
  • Like 1

I like Dan's answer.  Whole cover does have to come off to get to the shift mechanism, and remember that the water pump gear is in there too.  So you have to drain the coolant and impeller cover so you can turn it to line the gear back up on install.

Now on the shifter, down at the shift mechanism there are some small pins and springs to watch out for around the pawl mechanism.  Don't let those get away from you.  Study it and take some pics before you go messing with it.

The star should rotate.  Its connected to the shift forks inside the case.  If the forks are bent or jammed, it will not rotate easily.

Good luck, hope its easy, and you don't have to go into the case.

37 minutes ago, ronbuell said:

I like Dan's answer.  Whole cover does have to come off to get to the shift mechanism, and remember that the water pump gear is in there too.  So you have to drain the coolant and impeller cover so you can turn it to line the gear back up on install.

Now on the shifter, down at the shift mechanism there are some small pins and springs to watch out for around the pawl mechanism.  Don't let those get away from you.  Study it and take some pics before you go messing with it.

The star should rotate.  Its connected to the shift forks inside the case.  If the forks are bent or jammed, it will not rotate easily.

Good luck, hope its easy, and you don't have to go into the case.

Ok. Thanks for some help. I plan on trying to tear into this week. My friend has a parts 04 YZ250F that has a blown motor but a good transmission in it. Any possible way to use the 04 tranny if it comes to my tranny being toasted? 

Absolutely, same tranny and parts.  I'd look for damaged shift drum, or bent shift forks.  You can check for bad scuff marks on the sides of the shift fork.  Usually its just one that's the problem.... if that's the problem.  Check out all other possibilities before you dig into the case, because its a total tear down you're looking at if you gotta go into it that far.  Might as well think about a fresh top end if it goes that far.  Its a lotta work.  Check the oil pump and clean off the inside of the flywheel where the magnets are, cause that's where the metal chips go.  And a new cam chain is just insurance against a worn chain.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronbuell said:

Absolutely, same tranny and parts.  I'd look for damaged shift drum, or bent shift forks.  You can check for bad scuff marks on the sides of the shift fork.  Usually its just one that's the problem.... if that's the problem.  Check out all other possibilities before you dig into the case, because its a total tear down you're looking at if you gotta go into it that far.  Might as well think about a fresh top end if it goes that far.  Its a lotta work.  Check the oil pump and clean off the inside of the flywheel where the magnets are, cause that's where the metal chips go.  And a new cam chain is just insurance against a worn chain.  

Man you're making this job sound like im about to spend a lot of money lol. One thing i left out in the original post is that i did crash 2-3 times and the bike landed on the shifter side each crash. 

O K Once you added that to the story you have most likely what I was already thinking a bent shifter shaft that is now seized in the cases. Even if you need to replace it you may have to straighten it somewhat or even cut it flush. Good luck.

• Like 1

Rembrand has what is hopefully the answer.  Did you take a tumble on the left side before the shifter seized up?

Oops, didn't read the whole post.. Yep falling on it can cause that issue.  Shift shaft can be straightened out, and is same on both bikes.

Edited by ronbuell

1 minute ago, ronbuell said:

Rembrand has what is hopefully the answer.  Did you take a tumble on the left side before the shifter seized up?

Yeah a pretty bad one (to me) because it was real slick mud.... And i dont think the other 2 crashes on it helped any either lol. So like rembrand said, just check to see if the shift shaft is bent and get it out and replace it? Also like i said my friend has a 04 YZ250F, so you think the shift shaft off that bike would fit in mine? (Wanna clue before i dismantle both bikes). 

Done alot of engines stuck in gear and most of them was from a wear spot in shiftdrum = stuck.  If it's this problem won't cost that much for that part. Like I  always say stuck in gear is better than slipping on gear alot cheaper lol :thumbsup: but yes check shaft first as fellow above says :ride:

Edited by Motox367

Just now, Motox367 said:

Done alot of engines stuck in gear and most of them was from a wear spot in shiftdrum = stuck.  If it's this problem won't cost that much for that part. Like I  always say stuck in gear is better than slipping on gear alot cheaper lol :thumbsup:

Lol i guess. But to me any motor problems with a bike isnt "cheap". Ive never torn the engine down on this bike since i got it a month ago so im needing some things to look for and maybe a fix to the issue when i go ripping it apart. I just PRAY i dont have to split cases to fix this issue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Lol i guess. But to me any motor problems with a bike isnt "cheap". Ive never torn the engine down on this bike since i got it a month ago so im needing some things to look for and maybe a fix to the issue when i go ripping it apart. I just PRAY i dont have to split cases to fix this issue. 

Keep your fingers crossed 

Found the issue guys! I tore the gear shifter side down and found that a bolt from the kicker had fell into the bottom of the motor and the clutch gears were catching the bolt causing it not to move. Removed the bolt and it shifts through all gears now. After i got it all back together and cranked it up found out that a seal i reused was messed up so it leaked. Lol. Just have to replace it and were all good. Never thought that the kicker would make the bike not shift. Hmmm.