2016 kx450f

I found a good deal on a 2016 kx450f . They said it only has 3 hours on the meter. That's hard for me to believe with all the stuff that's been done to it. Is there anyway to unhook the hour meter or anything??

They could have waited to hook an hour meter to it until whenever they finally purchased one. They don't just come on the bike when you buy it. And yes you can disconnect them. It's just a wire down to the spark plug coil. 

You should ask when they actually put the hour meter on the bike in 2016. Was it put on as soon as he bought it or some time after. 

If a bike has 3 hours on the ticker, the foot pegs should be almost new looking, very limited rub marks on the side of the engine cases etc...

That's what I'd be looking for.

I believe I'll just go get a new bike then, I don't want to take a chance on a used bike. I thought they came factory with hour meters now. 

15 hours ago, Bernie Nottelling said:

the tires should still look like new after only 3 hours... and check the production date on them..

Not on a 450... I'm lucky to get 1 hour out of a rear tire. I guess it depends on how and where you ride. I guess if you only rode around your yard in 1-2 gear it would still be new.

I'd look at the clutch cover. Should be minimal wear at 3 hours. But it can vary. I have 2 2016 450f's and one with 5.3 hours looks more used than the other with 10 hours because I rode the 5.3 hour bike in the sand twice.

8 hours ago, DCBmx119 said:

Not on a 450... I'm lucky to get 1 hour out of a rear tire. I guess it depends on how and where you ride. I guess if you only rode around your yard in 1-2 gear it would still be new.

I'd look at the clutch cover. Should be minimal wear at 3 hours. But it can vary. I have 2 2016 450f's and one with 5.3 hours looks more used than the other with 10 hours because I rode the 5.3 hour bike in the sand twice.

so you went through 16 rear tires ... or more...

Around 10, I'd say. Like I said depends on the conditions. A lot of tracks I ride are hard packed with many rocks. Knobs definitely start ripping off at the 1 hour mark if used on those tracks. I do ride sand some which isn't as hard on tires. I also get take offs for free from a factory team so I am a little spoiled and might change them earlier than a normal consumer. Plus race compounds might not last as long as a production tire. Things worthy of noting. 

Around 10, I'd say. Like I said depends on the conditions. A lot of tracks I ride are hard packed with many rocks. Knobs definitely start ripping off at the 1 hour mark if used on those tracks. I do ride sand some which isn't as hard on tires. I also get take offs for free from a factory team so I am a little spoiled and might change them earlier than a normal consumer. Plus race compounds might not last as long as a production tire. Things worthy of noting. 

I'm gonna call bull shit. From every factory team I've known someone on or around, those one off tires they get will never be released to a public person. I've never heard of any prototype tires making their way into public consumer hands. I also don't believe that many tires got ate up by you on any bike even if it was a 1000cc cbr engine fit into a dirtbike frame. No way. Bluff called, show some pictures of these race tires.
  • Like 2

I believe I'll just go get a new bike then, I don't want to take a chance on a used bike. I thought they came factory with hour meters now. 

Yamaha has built in hour meters you can view with the power tuner.

12 minutes ago, DCBmx119 said:

so they make special soft race compounds which are stickier on the dirt... might lose the sharp edges after 2 laps..

learned something new..

PS: I worked for quite a few race teams in Europe.. and we always had to give the (road) tires back (straight after the race)

the private wc mx rider was told, that he can use the tire again by turning it around...

but that is quite some years ago...

15 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

I'm gonna call bull shit. From every factory team I've known someone on or around, those one off tires they get will never be released to a public person. I've never heard of any prototype tires making their way into public consumer hands. I also don't believe that many tires got ate up by you on any bike even if it was a 1000cc cbr engine fit into a dirtbike frame. No way. Bluff called, show some pictures of these race tires.

Call it all you want. Doesn't change the truth haha. I was just trying to offer a little advice to the guy. I wouldn't be looking at tires too much. Especially since 1-2 passes up the road can destroy a new tire. I would be looking at other wear indicators.

15 hours ago, Bernie Nottelling said:

so they make special soft race compounds which are stickier on the dirt... might lose the sharp edges after 2 laps..

learned something new..

PS: I worked for quite a few race teams in Europe.. and we always had to give the (road) tires back (straight after the race)

the private wc mx rider was told, that he can use the tire again by turning it around...

but that is quite some years ago...

Yep, I install the tires backwards and it's like having a brand new tire.

Yep, I install the tires backwards and it's like having a brand new tire.

So you've never had a new tire then.... because reversing them doesn't feel new at all.

5 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

So you've never had a new tire then.... because reversing them doesn't feel new at all.

No never... Not in about a year anyways. Scored a huge lot of race take off's from a team. Which were hard to tell from new, so prefer not to buy tires. A lot were unmarked prototype's that you say never make it into the hands of the public lol. But you obviously know it all don't ya?

Bet you didn't know that teams also treat their tires with special compounds, similar to what people do to dirt track kart tires or road tires. A lot of my tires still have the treatment on them. Not sure if it helps but something new that I learned.

No never... Not in about a year anyways. Scored a huge lot of race take off's from a team. Which were hard to tell from new, so prefer not to buy tires. A lot were unmarked prototype's that you say never make it into the hands of the public lol. But you obviously know it all don't ya?

So show some pictures. Should be easy, you get them all the time....or are you out?

1 hour ago, hondaman331 said:

So show some pictures. Should be easy, you get them all the time....or are you out?

Sure, let me rush right out of work to take pictures of tires that I know I have and I know where they came from, just to prove someone wrong on the internet. No thanks. But I really might send you some just to shut you up. Why would I lie about tires on the internet? haha. I guess you will say that I don't have a pro circuit showa A kit either. Send me your e-mail and I can send you pics of my bikes and shop. Since you are so concerned with another grown man's personal belongings.

• Like 1

Sure, let me rush right out of work to take pictures of tires that I know I have and I know where they came from, just to prove someone wrong on the internet. No thanks. But I really might send you some just to shut you up. Why would I lie about tires on the internet? haha. I guess you will say that I don't have a pro circuit showa A kit either. Send me your e-mail and I can send you pics of my bikes and shop. Since you are so concerned with another grown man's personal belongings.

I sent the email....he kept saying I was a bitch and never produced the pictures. Liar or a troll....wouldn't take his word for shit.