1998 XR100R not starting. Plug is sparking.

Hi guys!

I've got a little XR100R playbike that I like to ride sometimes. It hasn't been run in ~3 weeks or so? Anyway I went to take it out today, and the damn thing won't kick over. Doesn't even sound like it's close to starting. My father and I decided to work on it together, and we went out and bought a new plug for it. With a fresh plug it still wouldn't start. We cleaned the air filter, the damn thing was so dirty I was even surprised it used to run. Cleaned it with mineral spirits then hot, soapy water. We noticed the original plug was black when we pulled it out and that the gas really didn't smell right, so we syphoned the tank and then put fresh gas in it. Still won't start.

I'm pretty amateur when it comes to working on bikes. What's my next course of action? Carby cleaning? We tried to shoot some carb cleaner straight through the airbox hole but it didn't really do anything. If anyone can give me tips, that would be great. Thanks!

First pull fuel pipe off carby and turn the tap on to check if fuel is getting through line. If not you need to pull the carby off and take apart. Check float and needle is clear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Cory said:

First pull fuel pipe off carby and turn the tap on to check if fuel is getting through line. If not you need to pull the carby off and take apart. Check float and needle is clear.

Alright, thanks for the tips, I'll try tomorrow.

Pull the pilot, blow compressed air through it, re-install.  Also, clean your air filter, and adjust you valves too.  Since you already busy, change you oil as well.  

1 hour ago, socalxr said:

Pull the pilot, blow compressed air through it, re-install.  Also, clean your air filter, and adjust you valves too.  Since you already busy, change you oil as well.  

I mentioned that I already cleaned the filter. I don't know if I trust myself to adjust valves without a shop manual; like I mentioned I'm a noob to working on bikes.

Is that all I have to do with the carby? Just take out the pilot jet and spray compressed air in it? Can I use regular old carb cleaner? I have a large air compressor but it takes a lot of time to build up air because it's old and wheeling my bike up to it would be quite a process.

2 hours ago, socalxr said:

Also, the pilot, do you mean the pilot jet on the top of the carby?

It's inside the carb.  Look on  parts fiche. They call it a slow jet.  Anyway, the passage is super small and gets clogged.  Carb cleaner doesn't really work on it, but compressed air usually does.  Then hold it up to the light and you should be able to see perfectly through it.  If not, try it a few more times or order a few pilots; one stock and one of each size bigger. Check a manual or this site somewhere to adjust the valves. It's super easy.