My bike is a 2008 KTM EXCR 530 current gearing is 14-48 witch has been fine and I have not considered a gearing change until Barstow and input from the Anvil to go to 13-50. Just a few questions going from 14-48 to 13-50. I'm looking at doing a change to help me tackle the really difficult steep loose dirt and rocky hill climbs like in Barstow. Bike climbs like a tractor now on the easy hill climbs and I can creep up the easy stuff with ease. Current bike set up is really good but I want to work on those loose steep climbs so what ever will help me, it's a new goal now. Current gearing has been a happy medium for slow tech terrain as well as decent road speeds. Bike is plated and I do ride on the streets and some hwys but I don't ride the freeway.

I don't want to end up with a huge compromise to get a good hill climbing set up since it is the least amount if my riding. Most of my local riding from home has nothing even close to those types of hill climbs.

Obviously the big climbs are rider confidence and technique but I wonder if I was at a big disadvantage in Barstow with the current 14-48 gearing, AND never had attempted big steep climbs like that?

If I go to 13-50 will I still have good overall top speed for hwy and quick off idle and low rpms response. Will I love the 13-50 all around or will it be a compromise?

How drastic of a difference is this going from 14-48 to 13-48?

Any idea what top speed would be with the 13-50?

What gearing are you guys running? And do you change it out for a ride like Barstow?

14-48 is supermoto gearing..

were you at a disadvantage? yea.. i would say so ?

if you want to save a few bucks, just go buy a 12 tooth for 12-48. that will be about the same as 13-50, close enough, and you will be able to move the wheel back to help keep the front down. im currently geared at 13-49, which was just for a bit more speed in first, but just that one tooth makes it a bit harder for hills.

13/50 is the best gearing for just about everything on the ktm big bores.

• Like 2

yes 14-48,  no Bueno.   I am on 13-52, and I was thinking need more tracktor, but only because my mind thought I was 14-52

Go for the change, any change, you can change it back,  lots of guys change gearing, for different rides 

I think 13-50 sounds right for your change.

Edited by bigbob

25 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

My advice, same as Wolf. First just try dropping one tooth up front to 13. Remember, dropping one tooth up front is the same as adding two teeth to the rear. Try that out before you increase the rear. Gearing changes are quick, easy and easy way to find your happy medium for what you need. 

Usually dropping 1 on the front is at least +3 on the rear. 

• Like 2

Just going to a 13 on front will make a noticeable difference.  IIRC, my 450 came stock with 14/48, which was fine for open desert.  For tighter going, I dropped to a 13 on front.  When it came time for new sprockets, I went 52 on the rear and switch between a 13 and 14 on the front depending on the ride.  As said, 1 tooth on front is worth 3+ on the rear.

• Like 1

The lower the better. On the 2 stroke I went from 13/50 to 12/50 . 

Like the snake said 1 tooth on the front is a little more than 3 on the back. Also w/ the chain , try to stay around center on adj. if you come too far forward it'll make it turn really quick and wheelie too easily. If you're too far back it'll turn like a slug. If you plan on gear swaps , just have 2 chains.

• Like 1

12/52 on my kx450f endurocross gearing

the husqvarna don't matter she eats with a 13 or 14 tooth sprocket, she is always hungry too, she gots the jimmy boy/riddler racing treatment done

she has never not made a hill she pointed at either (cept a few in dL and snake pit) (not the rider doe)

what does mitchgyver run, she has the same tank (sherman)

Edited by the Riddler.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bill_B said:

Any idea what top speed would be with the 13-50?

how often do you ride at top speed sir? the biggest difference you will notice with that gearing change is how snappy the bike will be, back when i was a youngster last year and i rode track i actually had to put a 14t from a 13t to tame the bike down.. loop out larry was my nick name. so doing the opposite high to low gearing is going to awake the beast from within, its not about top speed when riding dirt bikes, 'specially when you can't go up a hill. time to start looking at things thru your third eye now. 

one question before any of us waste anymore time.

Does she even have the Tire? (see post 47 in on of the threads year or 2 back)

• Like 1

Go with the 13, the difference will be noticeable, but not night and day. I recently went from a 14/50 to 13/50 on my 300 as lately I've been riding an area that has some serious hillclimbs and the difference was huge. As far a street riding your 530 should have no problems going the speed limit.

• Like 2

13/48 will not be low enough for somebody just learning to hold the throttle wide open to go up these hills.

when i was learning in donkeyland, one of the better things i did was gear down to 12/50. as i got more competent and able to carry more speed i went back to 13/50. my current set up 13/49, you really have to commit and carry as much speed as you can. for the BIG hills i have to hit a timed downshift before the top, where with 13/50 i could just slip the clutch. just that one tooth down in the back made it to where slipping the clutch wasnt enough and hitting downshifts when you are already full throttle isnt easy. who downshifts at full throttle??  think about that for a second.

12/48 will really help you for now. its cheap and quick to swap out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, absurd said:

The 13 tooth change will be noticeable. I dont have personal experience, but ive heard the 12 tooth will wear thru your chain slider fast....

Sliders are cheap. How much does a hill cost when they're all on top Lookin at you?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I always drop a gear on hills...  sometimes two.  I like t start in third...  drop to second when she starts to bog...  and by the top if it s a good one I am in first dog paddling.  ?

doing that takes practice though. if hes having trouble "getting to the hill" itd be hard to start in third haha

• Like 3