What hydration backpack do you use?

As the Spring riding season is approaching, I am looking for a new hydration backpack for trail riding.  I have an old Blackburn that I have been using for years for snow skiing, hiking and enduro trail riding.  I am wanting to get something new.  I would like it to have good, strong, padded shoulder, chest and waist straps, have a contoured mesh back panel so my back doesn't sweat, and have at least one fairly large separate pocket, and be light colored to not get too hot in the sun.  Any suggestions?  Will you post a pic of what you are using?  Thanks.

I just picked up a USWE F6.  Haven't used it yet.  It has a lot of carrying capacity, probably more than I need, but conches down well.  What sold me on it was the harness.  When worn, it doesn't move around, and will stretch with you.  I am impressed with it.

This is the one I bought-. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1520/56005/USWE-F6-Pro-Hydration-Pack?c=383

• Like 1

I've as well have been using a Camelbak MULE for over 3 years and really like.

Fits well and holds 3L of water if you want and holds all the stuff I think I need and also has a rain cover if you need it.

There's a big mountain biking community where I live and 3 shops. IMO there is some good cross over between mountain biking and dirt biking gear and at least where I live we all get along so I ignore the comments about CamelBak that might get posted :)

20160114_171836.jpg

20160114_172426.jpg

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

I use a Kriega R20. It's a great pack, has adjustable straps at the top for body size, and bottom for tightening. The chest closure hits on your sternum and repositions the weight more on your chest vs. shoulders. Has a mesh back with an air channel, and it water resistant.

• Like 1

I have 2, both from Big 5 and a whole lot cheaper than the name brands. I have a 1.5 liter that I use on shorter rides, its strictly hydration, no storage. Cost $17. My 3 liter has lots of storage, its for longer rides, it cost a whopping $25.

Btw, as has been discussed here numerous times you are supporting anti access if you buy Camelbak.

• Like 2

I use a Kriega R20. It's a great pack, has adjustable straps at the top for body size, and bottom for tightening. The chest closure hits on your sternum and repositions the weight more on your chest vs. shoulders. Has a mesh back with an air channel, and it water resistant.

I've been using my R20 every day for bicycle commuting and street and dual sport riding for almost 3 years, zero failures and the most comfortable pack I've ever had. I don't want to use it as a dirt bike pack though, kind of heavy. Their hydration pack doesn't have enough room for tools and such. Really wish they'd make a dedicated enduro pack that spilt the difference, the quad-lok is a perfect system.
  • Like 1

I run a Sierra Designs bladder inside a Moose Racing stow pack attached to my Fox Airframe.

I like how the water tastes just as good as when I pot it in, not like it sat for a year in a waterbed liner.

20170326_104537.jpg

I've been using my R20 every day for bicycle commuting and street and dual sport riding for almost 3 years, zero failures and the most comfortable pack I've ever had. I don't want to use it as a dirt bike pack though, kind of heavy. Their hydration pack doesn't have enough room for tools and such. Really wish they'd make a dedicated enduro pack that spilt the difference, the quad-lok is a perfect system.

Yeah I went from a camelbak mule to the Kriega and although the Kriega is heavier I still found it much more comfortable, and even almost forgot I was wearing it. Like you said it is a little tight if you pack a decent amount, but I've found it to be sufficient for all day rides.
  • Like 1

Although it did make me google image search 'Eco Nazi" and I'm still LMAO :)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=eco+nazi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6lcm05_TSAhVDwGMKHfqyDxcQ_AUIBigB&biw=1185&bih=624#imgrc=sU9ielLBfLf8QM:

Something I can actually post and I just ordered a sticker from Greenpeace. I'm looking forward to putting this on the back window of my van :)

greenpeace-eco-nazis.jpg

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I use High Sierra Piranha. About $30.

Has insulated tube, reservoir that opens fully at top for easy filling with ice/most important feature for me/,and enough storage. It is 2L,but they make bigger too. It's made with bicyclist in mind Has hand pump holder inside bag. Mine is black not sure if they make other colors.

IMG_20170326_154920.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I went from a camelbak mule to the Kriega and although the Kriega is heavier I still found it much more comfortable, and even almost forgot I was wearing it. Like you said it is a little tight if you pack a decent amount, but I've found it to be sufficient for all day rides.

I was referring to their Hydro pack being too small, I use my R20 on 5 day tours. I'm thinking I'll just buy another R20 for commuting and rotate my dirty one for dirt and DS duty. Or maybe I'll try the Hydro pack. http://www.kriega.us/hydro-3-enduro-motorcycle-hydration-backpack/
  • Like 1

i use a fly stingray hydro pack, it was pricey but holds about 3 bottles of water, and has a chest plate that attaches and detaches based on what you want, i adapted a camelback elbow mouth piece to it though.

Have more than a few.
Ogio flight vest-nice for BIG epic rides. Warm, lots of storage can carry 2 hundred ounce bladders
MSR Singletrack Pak-another big ride pack, like the Flight Vest more but this pak is cooler.
Camelback Mayhem - nice little day pack nothing special. Decent storage space especially if you like compartments
And my current go to pack
Marmot Whirl Wind-holds a 3l hydration bladder, plus 2 large but separate compartments, a key pocket and a great frame harness system
Plan on getting a USWE this year to retire the Marmot

Thank you for all of the replies!  I like to see the photos, it helps.  Give me updates and keep them coming.