Forest Service Needs Your Input

Below you will find an appeal I got recently from the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) asking that we all take part in providing the government with input regarding which trails need the most help from the government and their volunteer partners. 

The fact is that the FS and BLM don't have anywhere near the budget they need to maintain these trails. They are looking for help in "Triaging" the trail system so that those that are most important to users get attention first.  

There are also concerns that trails that go without maintenance could be viewed as "unsustainable" by those groups that want them closed to motorized users. 

Please read the letter and consider taking a minute to provide them with your input on this vital subject. It's Important that the USFS receives suggestions from the motorized trail community by April 7, 2017.

This particular letter is for the Rocky Mtn region, but I believe that all regions are participating in their own appeals.

U.S. Forest Service seeking public suggestions on priority trails for volunteer efforts from users in the region

Now that trail users have celebrated last November's passage of HR845, the National Forest Trails Stewardship Act, the U.S. Forest Service has begun implementation of the law's requirements to increase trail maintenance by volunteers. One of their first tasks is to identify priority areas where volunteers should be put to use right away.

The AMA is hoping you're aware of trails most in need of volunteer labor and will alert the Forest Service using the information below.

According to the Government Accounting Office, roughly one third of the 157,000 miles of National Forest System Trails are not maintained to agency standards. The act requires the Secretary of Agriculture, whose responsibilities include the U.S. Forest Service, to publish a "strategy to significantly increase the role of volunteers and partners in trail maintenance" in the federal register within two years of the bill's passage.

The act goes further by stating a goal of increasing trail maintenance by volunteers by 100 percent within 5 years of passage. Also noteworthy, costs of volunteer liability must be shared across the agency and each administrative unit of the forest service will develop a plan for staff to coordinate volunteers' efforts, both of which have held up previous increased-volunteerism efforts agency wide.

When: The Rocky Mountain/Region Two office has established a comments deadline of Friday, April 7.

To Submit Comments: Your local forest service office is ready to receive suggestions on priority maintenance areas and generally increasing trail-focused volunteerism. You can also submit comments by visiting http://tinyurl.com/mjhw3c6 or contacting Scott Haas, regional trail program manager. Scott can be reached by phone at (303) 275-5164 or by email at sehaas@fs.fed.us.

Thank you in advance for commenting. If you do submit comments, please forward a copy to us at grassroots@amacycle.org. Please forward this alert to your friends and ask them to submit comments too.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights-on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government.

• Like 2

We have a trail volunteer group that goes out to a few of the local places around Steamboat. I haven't been able to take part, (mostly because I have not been told about the dates in the past). But this year I have been reminding the local shop to get notices out sooner so I can make the time to get out and take care of our riding spots. One guy won't hardly make a dent in the grand scheme of things. But a group of motivated guys that want to ride, can for sure! 

Edited by trailrydr9
  • Like 1

emailed, copied the AMA.

I'll be in Steamboat in late June, and I can tell you trails WILL be clear before I return home.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 8:35 AM, trailrydr9 said:

We have a trail volunteer group that goes out to a few of the local places around Steamboat. I haven't been able to take part, (mostly because I have not been told about the dates in the past). But this year I have been reminding the local shop to get notices out sooner so I can make the time to get out and take care of our riding spots. One guy won't hardly make a dent in the grand scheme of things. But a group of motivated guys that want to ride, can for sure! 

Staying in the information loop is the key.

But it's not that easy to do. The FS and BLM may meet the obligatory requirement for announcement of  public comment periods, but much of the time, it's only a small circle of people who even know about it. Often times these announcements go largely unnoticed by the OHV community. Unfortunately, they usually do not go unnoticed by the Environmental community.

One way to keep informed is to join and/or contribute to motorized advocacy groups like American Motorcyclist Association, Trails Preservation Alliance (TPA) , Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition (COHVCO) or the Blue Ribbon Coalition. Your money goes to people who are paid (or volunteer) to keep their ear to the ground and to keep you and I informed and proactive in asserting our rights to public land access. 

I received an email reply from Mr. Haas. Very receptive to ideas and assistance. REACH OUT TO HIM FOLKS.

I've made friends with a few management guys at places like Sun Enterprises, Grand Prix, CO Motorsports, etc. THESE GUYS should be putting this on the counter informing the public- it's in their best interest as well.