Brake pin cover screw won't come out

2004 WR250F

Doing some catchup work, rebuilt forks, new seals n bushings, new front tire.  I got down to the last item: replace the oiled up brake pads, and I couldn't get the cover screw out so I could remove the pad pin.  Grrrr.

So I hit it with PB Blaster, .....nothing.  Cleaned it and hit it with heat, ....nothing.  So now the flat blade slot is starting to get wallowed out and the screwdriver is slipping off.  Im thinking about welding on a sacrifice screwdriver and using a wrench on that..... or drilling it out.

Recommendations appreciated.  Never had problems with that cover screw before.

Impact driver and for the love of God use some anti seize when you screw it back in.

• Like 1

Just now, ronbuell said:

Anti-seize........ you got that right!

I've been through this before several times after buying used bikes. So frustrating especially when your flat head starts mangling that screw. Try the impact driver like I suggested. After that it's fair game to escalate it to another level.

• Like 1

ckny gets the nod for help on this one.....SUCCESS!  It came out.  

So I thought I was home free.  But NOOOOO, the pin bolt below the cover is seized.  I hit it with the impact wrench, and it spun without coming out.  The alan socket stripped out.  Time for a new thread on that.

• Like 1

Try a torx head, that is what I normally do.