Just bought my gf a bigger sized dirtbike I got her a 09 Crf150r it idled with the choke on once it was warm I took the choke off I turned the idle up on it so it ran when the choke was off. While the choke is off the idle sounds perfect once I give the throttle a crack or simply just give it more Rpms it idles really high and takes forever to come back down I've screwed with the idle screw can't get it to stop this found a video on YouTube where the kids bike did the exact same thing and nobody found a solution besides buying a new carb but that sounds very silly any suggestions?

Did you adjust the fuel screw? I'm guessing it's in too far. Another possibility is an airleak

Yes I did the kid I bought it from said it sat for a year and he replaced the jets I screwed with the idle screw because at first it wouldn't idle with the choke off (after warming up) then I got it to idle at what I believe to be a good sounding idle but once you give the throttle some Rpms it's takes a few seconds for the Rpms to come back down and I checked the throttle cable thats not the problem the bike looks absolutely mint and has been took to a dealer for regular maintence it was all documented I'm guessing this kid just tinkered with the wrong thing but I'm having trouble figuring out what it is

Just to clarify, the fuel screw on the bottom of the carburetor?

Nope I'm talking about the idle screw on the side any pointers on how to adjust the fuel screw?

The quick and dirty method is with the idle normal and the engine warm, turn the fuel screw in slowly until the engine dies. Then back it out 1.5 turns.

Well alright I really appreciate the help I'm worried I'll lean it out and blow it but why do you say the dirty way lol can it be bad news?

Goggle how to set a 4 stroke fuel screw on a FCR. The method I suggested should get you close assuming there are no other underlying issues.
[/quot sounds good thanks again

Carb has a partially clogged pilot jet or a partially clogged passage above the jet.

Replace the pilot jet with a  NEW ONE, and clear the passage above the jet with fine wire and solvent. 

Hope it helps

Well it was the fuel screw looked up spec needed to be 2 1/4 turn out it was only 1 turn out thanks for the help I appreciate it
  • Like 1

Well it was the fuel screw looked up spec needed to be 2 1/4 turn out it was only 1 turn out thanks for the help I appreciate it

Awesome.
My daughter had a 2013. It was a pia to start sometimes so I swapped the 38 stock pilot for a 45. Not only did it start much easier, it ran better as well.
Enjoy the bike, they are definitely on my list of most fun bikes to ride.