Race Tech rear shock issues

Ok so I recently got my Race Tech GS3 rear shock installed and I'm having some issues with it. The rear is super bouncy and I'm not sure if anything is super out of adjustment or weather there is no oil in the shock or what but it seems like there is no dampening at all.

later today I'm going to pull the rear out and bring it back down to Honda, the service manager mentioned bumping up the nitrogen pressure and seeing if that makes a difference, if not then I'm looking at a nice bill for a full r & r.

That seems off, if shouldn't continue to bounce after you take your hand off.

as a plus it is very comfortable on the road on the road  rides like a Cadillac 

From the 80's with a suspension that's whipped

I am curious as to why there is no oil in the shock (if that ends up being the issue). When these shocks arrive new, are you supposed to fill them up with oil or do they come pre-filled ready and ready to go. 

alternatively maybe there was an issue with shipping a gas filled shock via air mail?

1 hour ago, JBBC said:

Ok so I recently got my Race Tech GS3 rear shock installed and I'm having some issues with it. The rear is super bouncy and I'm not sure if anything is super out of adjustment or weather there is no oil in the shock or what but it seems like there is no dampening at all.

Where did you buy the shock from ?  

If you bought from Race Tech I am sure they will take care of it for you. This is the first problem I have heard of ... ever 

1 minute ago, JBBC said:

This is a brand new used set that I bought privately which was never installed. 

Something just ain't right here...  

Maybe you could ship it to your closest Race Tech service center. Hopefully you can email them a link to your video and get a quote for repair. 

PARTS CANADA / POWER TWINS

(403) 250-6611
Calgary, AB, 
Canada

there is a semi-local suspension guru about an hour away who would be able to do the repairs. or do you think I would be better off dealing with a RT service center 

http://www.ridersedgesuspension.com/index.html

kinda wishing I went to them initially rather than trying to save a few bucks.

GS3, gold valves and spring kit - $800 US ~ $1100 CDN

gold valve install at Honda dealership - $500

GS3 rebuild - $???

Riders Edge no hassle suspension upgrade $2000

:banghead:

2 minutes ago, JBBC said:

gold valve install at Honda dealership - $500

That's high dollar .... Race Tech did my forks for $100.00 labor and I paid shipping. 

It is hard to guess what your shock needs and why it is even like that.... makes a guy wonder. I'm sorry you got jacked man. Race Tech is a great product. 

If you trust your local shop then I would give them a call. I'm sure it should'nt cost too much if they are honest folks. Somebody must have opened up that shock and removed the guts ... :foul:   I have watched you video over and over to try to see if it is infact an actual Race Tech product and it looks like the newer black bodied shock and not the gold one. Do you have any close up pic's ? 

Agreed I have heard nothing but good things about RT.

as for the install price... the real kicker is Riders Edge would have done it for less than half price and would have been properly equipped to deal with the rear. 

here are some close ups

17141690_10208573941166309_2099340062_n.jpg

DSC_1029.JPG

Edited by JBBC
  • Like 1

it sure looks nice. 

How is the sag when you sit on the bike. The collar is higher up then I have ever seen but, that still does not explain why it is so bouncey. 

I think you will probably be best going to Riders Edge. 

Where did you buy this from ? 

21 minutes ago, JBBC said:

sag is still a bit of a mystery to me but it seems like there is quite alot.

You could try cranking up the pre load as it can't hurt. You want 80mm of sag when you sit on the bike. 

here is a short video .... 

Edited by gnath9

Just now, gnath9 said:

You could try cranking up the pre load as it can't hurt. You want 80mm of sag when you sit on the bike

definitely worth a shot was going to pull it out this afternoon and have a closer look, also makes it a lot easier when adjusting the pre-load. 

1 minute ago, JBBC said:

definitely worth a shot was going to pull it out this afternoon and have a closer look, also makes it a lot easier when adjusting the pre-load. 

you should be able to adjust pre load with it on the bike. 

I dont have the angled bar as it was proquired while getting the valves installed. looks like a real tight area to work in so I thought rather than trying to fight with it ill take the half hour to remove it.

also I wanted to see about loosening the preload off all the way and seeing if I could compress the shock by hand, which would be a good indicator if this thing was totally NFG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBBC said:

there is a semi-local suspension guru about an hour away

I used to live in Enderby

just a quick update today.

- Removed the rear and was playing around with the adjustable knob on the bottom (sorry not sure what its for) and had a few drops of oil spill out 

- loosened off the pre load collar off all the way and had minimal resistance compressing the shock by hand. 

- only had about 10 - 20 mm of play from full extent to hitting the spring again not sure if that's relevant. 

- tightened up the pre load collar a fair bit was going to reinstall and see if that made any difference but decided to wait until I get some more nitrogen pumped in 

- More good news! looks like the front left fork is leaking out of the bottom so that will need to go back to Honda.

DSC_1043[1423].JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

DSC_1046.JPG

48 minutes ago, JBBC said:

More good news! looks like the front left fork is leaking out of the bottom so that will need to go back to Honda.

This sucks man ....   :banghead:  

If I was in your shoes I think I would just take it to the Riders Edge and get it all fixed up right. Because in my opinion this suspension is only expensive if it does not perform well.

You will end up being happy even tho you got jacked somehow and have to endure the added expense... :foul:  

Your shock probably has a bad seal or something and needs oil as well. Your shock body looks a little rough in the pic ...  :excuseme:   

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming ... :thumbsup: 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1