Project bike:Gear lever does not return to middle

I'm trying to resurrect a 1991 XR250, and I note the gear lever does not return to the middle position, though it does appear to select gears ok (so far as i can tell without the engine running).

What is the likely issue here and how can it be resolved ?

does anyone know if i can get to the spring mentioned above without splitting the crank cases.

I have a Clymer manual, and i was watching a tear down of an xr200 on you tube, and i can't decide. 

If someone has split the cases and can comment that would be great

Take a closer look to the Parts diagram.

Part 9 is the Gearshift spindle and the End towards part 10 is the End that comes out of the engine where the shifter attach .

The spring sit over the other end of the Gearshift Spindle . And thats in the middle of the Gearbox .

No way to get it of the Spindle without removing the Spindle . mean splitting the cases .

But i would take a endoscope and take a look to the spring to confirm it . Possible over the holes after you remove Clutch cover and clutch .

• Like 1

thanks for that - i have an endoscope so will do as you suggest.

Not 11. 8 or 7. Detent spring/and or arm. More than likely just spring cause theyre basically paperclips.
11 is like three times thicker. 11 wont break unless you crash the bike. Cause I crashed an xr on the street that still bent nothing but that paper clip.
You can reach it behind the clutch basket. If its not there itll be a spring on the shifter spindle which IS in the case and I just reread your post so its never ran? If so then its #10. Which IS inside. And an effin paperclip. Ok well first. Easy. Take off right side cover. Either if you got long arms or have someone shift up and down. Watch the detent arm. Is it loose? Or does the spring keep it tight into the dips of the detent star? Probably does. If it doesnt, then you found your problem. Lucky its not inside. If that detent arm clicks down into the star then that springs good and its #10.
#11 will last another 25 years

Take a closer look to the Parts diagram.
Part 9 is the Gearshift spindle and the End towards part 10 is the End that comes out of the engine where the shifter attach .
The spring sit over the other end of the Gearshift Spindle . And thats in the middle of the Gearbox .
No way to get it of the Spindle without removing the Spindle . mean splitting the cases .
But i would take a endoscope and take a look to the spring to confirm it . Possible over the holes after you remove Clutch cover and clutch .

This guy knows! I just zoomed to the bottom and responded cause this is often thought of as a small issue. It might be a small, $3 paperclip, part. But its not a small issue. At LEAST six hours and a new complete gasket set.
The detent arm you can most likely see but your endoscope will make looking behind your basket easier. But you dont even need to see anything. Reach in with your fingertips and flick at the detent arm. Is there a spring keeping it tight against the star? If that springs busted you can move this detent arm by finger tip.
If thats not it, then youre going into the bottom end. Youre going in regardless but if you get the top end off then you might be able to see with an endoscope. But A, will you know what youre looking at/for? And B, you know somethings wrong in the transmission. The transmission is inside the cases. If its not a clutch problem then youre splitting cases.
Did your bike ever go down on left side hard?

> Did your bike ever go down on left side hard?

hard to say - i bought it as a non runner but i note the gear lever is bent under the case a bit. So maybe, the reason it became a non-runner/project is exactly this issue.

thanks for all the help

That spring is your issue. Sorry bud. Ive been there and hated every bit of it. I had a machinist homie make me a 10 as thick a the 11s diameter and it works fine. I inferred to my OGs at Honda and got the ok.
But that springs a paperclip bud.
Poopy.
You can endo scope if you remove piston but you dont exactly know what to look for. Check the detent, then youll know if youre going bottom end.
This was probably all its issue is. You can( maybe, still measure) use everything again. Piston, cams, valves, clutch. Measure. Unless you got rebuild money just clean everything, put oil all over it. And use it again.
Unfortunately you DO need a brand new full gasket kit tho

thanks all - i'll drop the clutch off for a poke and go from there.

part of me wants to split it anyway as i've never done it, and if i'm gonna sort it properly at the top end (if needed) i may as well the the bottom end out

i was working towards getting it running before i tore it apart to assess it but we'll see what happens this weekend as to which way i go.

The bike wILL fire and run fine with this issue. And will clunk in up shifts but not engage a gear and and down shift is just a tap. No clunk

You need to split it. Prove me wrong. Fingers crossed its just the detent.

My opinion is its case splitting time.

Dont listen to me first. Check the detent first

Right cover off only.

And hey, this is TOTally worth doing. All you have to do is put this spring in. Its a full rebuild with like 1/64th of the work!

so got the clutch off and the detent arm is held against the star nice and firm, so i'm going to split the cases.

So far the engine looks in good condition, bore is 74.5mm and good condition. I guess i might as well hone it and put new rings in, but still temped to go 280cc. 

Will see what i find in the bottom before i spend any money though.

thanks for the help

So i split the cases and scratched my head for a while. Couldn't see any broken springs or anything else amiss, but the shaft wouldn't return to the middle.

More head scratching and trying to work out what what the big spring (11 in the diagram) was for as it didn't appear to have anything to act upon.

Turns out the bolt that comes in from the outside and protrudes into the case for the spring to act upon, has been replaced with a bolt that is too short ! Heaven knows why, suspect at one time the chain damage the crankcase a bit, or the bolt fell out ?

Would have been a 5 minute fix if i'd known, but splitting the cases was a learning experience and I got to check out the condition of everything else.

• Like 1