Shelton Dirt Riders Website

John Eaton needs a webmaster to get his SDR website up to keep interested people informed but is spread too thin to get it done now.  Is there a rider out there who would do it for a reasonable price or as a donation to the future of this sport?  If so you can contact him at Dirt Cheap Cycle in Shelton.

Edited by oldgrunt
correction

I spent over an hour in John Eatons shop on Thursday getting a good idea of his vision on this whole project. The website was one of many topics to come up. I though about go-daddy, but did not mention because i think he wants something more secure. My experience with go daddy or any other host site, is that sites that are not set up by a techie can get randomly hacked. Techies know how to input the right code to secure the website. They input things that the average computer user over looks.

John is a busy guy and wants this website built right so its one less thing on his plate to worry about. His vision for the site is not just for his use in informing members of club events, but for the members to use as well. There are over 200 of us and he wants this website to be a way of members connecting. Thumpertalk has been great, but john wants something more private.

• Like 1

if your only throwing some pictures up and have some phone numbers than go daddy is fine. Anything more than that do not ...and I mean do not use go daddy(lol). It's super  easy to get in and wreak havoc. I do this stuff for a living. Wish I had free time I'd help for free. 

I am a Computer Science Student at WSU. From what I am getting here, John needs a forum like ThumperTalk and then a typical dealer site? I can do that for for a very low price or even some sort of deal for parts. What is the best way to get in contact with him?

I would call him at his shop, tell him what you just posted, and ask him if he's interested and when a good time to talk thought more info. As is noted he is super busy and may not be able to dig into it right then.

To my understanding the website he wants is just about the shelton dirt riders club.

3 hours ago, Heb said:

To my understanding the website he wants is just about the shelton dirt riders club.

Should be a piece of cake for a CS major wanting to add a(nother?) commercial website dev to his resume! :thumbsup:

I had zero website development experience and was tasked with building a new website for PANTRA because the old one was outdated, passwords were lost, and it was built on a platform that wasn't supported anymore and you needed to know a lot of html coding to add or make changes to the content.  I couldn't find anybody to rebuild one for less than a $1000 and then I still needed to find a webmaster to keep it fresh.

In the end, I just did some research and built it myself.  I built it on a WordPress (WP) platform using Inmotion Hosting for our domain name and hosting site.  The most important item for me was to find a content editor that you didn't have to be a Pro to use and that turned out to be Beaver Builder (BB).  With all the WP plugins available, the drag and drop functionality of BB, and a little bit of Google knowledge, I was able to build PANTRA's website and make it easy for anybody in the club that I give permission too, and with a little bit of computer skills, to take a few minutes and update the website and keep the content fresh.

I also built the website so if I get hit by a bus it will  be fairly easy for the next non-web developer to pick up where I left off and keep it going and have it not be dead in the water like our old website.

Other than the website hosting (which is cheap), there was a one time cost of $200 for BB and $40 for a mapping plugin.  That's it!

I had zero website development experience and was tasked with building a new website for PANTRA because the old one was outdated, passwords were lost, and it was built on a platform that wasn't supported anymore and you needed to know a lot of html coding to add or make changes to the content.  I couldn't find anybody to rebuild one for less than a $1000 and then I still needed to find a webmaster to keep it fresh.
In the end, I just did some research and built it myself.  I built it on a WordPress (WP) platform using Inmotion Hosting for our domain name and hosting site.  The most important item for me was to find a content editor that you didn't have to be a Pro to use and that turned out to be Beaver Builder (BB).  With all the WP plugins available, the drag and drop functionality of BB, and a little bit of Google knowledge, I was able to build PANTRA's website and make it easy for anybody in the club that I give permission too, and with a little bit of computer skills, to take a few minutes and update the website and keep the content fresh.
I also built the website so if I get hit by a bus it will  be fairly easy for the next non-web developer to pick up where I left off and keep it going and have it not be dead in the water like our old website.
Other than the website hosting (which is cheap), there was a one time cost of $200 for BB and $40 for a mapping plugin.  That's it!

Color me impressed. You did a nice job.
  • Like 2

You forgot to add an "is liberty lake open?" tab in the FAQ.
  • Like 1