Headlight, brake light issue

I just purchased my first KTM, a used 2005 450exc. It is in good shape, but had a couple of things that will need fixing. One is the lighting. Neither the front lights or brake lights work. When I purchased we assumed it was the bulb, but after pulling the bulbs out they look fine. I can't find anything online that shows the location of a fuse, what should I look for next? Other electrics, like the starter, function just fine.

Something that is a little suspect is the wiring itself. For the brake lights, the wire bundle that runs along the rear subframe had slipped out of its channel and was pinched between the plastic, causing the wire insulation to wear and fray. I would suspect a short here is very possible.

Not sure the two lights being out are necessarily related, but can't rule it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Lee

Do you have the ability to get a hold of the wiring schematic for your machine. I had to put a whole new wiring harness in mine. The prior owner did not know the term plug and play and sliced and diced for the headlight and brake light assembly. Easier to get a new harness for $50 and some molex connectors if needed and do it up right.

• Like 1

You really need a basic multimeter or a testlight to go over the wiring to test for shorts, opens etc

The headlight and taillight both run on A/C power, there is a single wire (yellow) that feeds their switches 

2005 KTM 450EXC wiring diagram-page-001.jpg

2005 KTM 450EXC  USA wiring diagram.jpg

Edited by TwoHundred
Added wiring diagrams
  • Like 1

The two wire schematic for wires running to the headlight and tail light is the USA version and the other is the EURO.

• Like 1

I'd recommend doing the "DC Mod" and converting everything to DC.

If you had a short in the lighting circuit for a while, there's a chance hte lighting coil on the stator's shot.  Replacing the entire thing is easiest, but rewinding it isn't difficult (hour or two) and is a lot cheaper (spool of magnet wire and some heat shrink).