1990 KDX200 vs 1998 KLX300

Hi there,

A friend of mine is having trouble choosing between these 2 bikes. He is about 180cm tall and 65kg, 19 years old, fairly new to dirtbiking, won't be racing, just trail riding and some riding through dunes at the beach.

Option 1, 1990 KDX200

They want $2000 NZD  or near offer, this bike is only a 1.5hr drive away so would be able to view and test ride.

Has just had all these things done at bike shop

- New swing arm and linkage bearings

- Front and rear wheel bearings and head bearings

- New chain, sprockets and chain guide

- New wossner forged piston kit

- New wossner conrod kit

- Crank seals

Theres a few other things as well, the list goes on, she's had pretty much everything done.

Option 2, 1998 KLX300 

They only want $1750 NZD but the bike is a 4 hour drive away so wouldn't get to view and then think about it.

Hasn't been ridden in a year but has had these things done to it

- Serviced the forks

- Replaced the timing chain

- New chain and front sprocket about 16 hours ago

Let me know your guys thoughts on what you would go for.

Cheers

561952447.jpg

545621877.jpg

Edited by Caleb Riordan

If it was me I would go with the KDX. Although I would ask for proof of all the work done to it. Also try getting the price down. 

• Like 1

Yeah there is proof of all work, i think it is about 2k NZD worth of receipt and only around a hour of riding after it all being put in. but how hard is it to get parts for the 89-94 kdx200? 

Edited by tommorobo

Okay and you guys think the bike is good for my build and riding conditions? (Im the friend from the post) 

The kdx is a great trail bike they're pretty light weight. Good power but not too much for a new rider to handle

• Like 1

Be careful, as the KIPS valves on the pre 95 KDXs are all shot. I can pretty much guarantee the ones in that bike are toast. Luckily, some guy in the UK started making steel ones. They're not cheap but definitely available. Either way, parts for pre 95 KDXs are definitely more difficult to come by than 95+. Good bikes though.

• Like 1

I love the KDX's.  i should own a bunch of them.  That said,  a friend of mine just came by a klx300 on a trade. his normal mount is a wr450,  2013.  he rides tighter stuff than some,  but a cross section really.  He prefers the klx now to the wr.  his son has a crfx250 which he thinks requires way too much reving.  the 300 to me was more like my xr's (250s') with more power and a better suspension.   The last of the KDX 200's were fantastic,  and given even prices and conditions comparing the 90 kdx to the 98 KLX would have me favoring the KLX as a rider.  Flip side to the parts thing is that the KLX is probably harder yet to find parts for.   Me,  I would be holding out for a kdx220 or 200 of the last generation.  

6 hours ago, tommorobo said:

how do you know if they are shot before you buy the bike? like from the outside or is there a sound when running the bike? http://bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/products.php?253&cPath=67 these ones worth it?

You can't really tell without taking the cover off and inspecting them. That being said a bike without a working PV prob won't run that well. Just a risk you'd have to take. Plus $112 Euros isn't that bad if you need to replace them. Actually this could be a good bargaining point for getting the price down as there is a chance they are worn out. 

Edited by TheKX500boi

Just got told that they have replaced both valves because one was broken. that must be good bike then.

Edited by tommorobo