New KTM owner (long time Honda XR rider

Good day y'all.   Just picked up a really clean 2007 KTM 450 XC-W.  Can't wait to take it to the Kuhukus and ride it in the coming weeks.  Gonna do a bunch of maintenance before take it out because I don't really know how much was done.

Here is my 1998 XR280R that I rebuilt from the ground up.  I still have it but the son is going to ride it. 

IMG_0716.jpg

• Like 5

So I picked it up tonight.  I will get some pics of it up soon.

Question though.  The bike is cherry and only has 150 hours on it however, when I put it in gear I get a lot of jump from the back tire before letting the clutch out.  Also the transmission feels a little notchy but the bike also wasn't warmed up. Is this normal on a cold trans?  It has the original clutch on it. 

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the KTM's from that era, but it sounds like the clutch is dragging.  Is the lever firm or mushy?  If it's mushy at all, it might need to be bled.  Might be a good idea to change the fluid in it anyway since you just picked the bike up.  

• Like 1

The owner changed the fluid last year and only rode it once.  He bled it from the bottom and the feel is firm on the lever.  I will try and adjust it.  Being a 10 year old clutch I might just change it anyways. 

could be the clutch time to install a recluse and do an oil change and check the filters. then take a look at sprockets and chain

I would never even consider riding a used bike I just bought before changing the oil to a brand I liked. Never! In this case I would also take a look at the clutch basket. Good luck, that XR is just plain awesome!

Thanks for the replies. 

Changed the oil last night to Rotella T6 as I used it in my XR with zero issues.  Got a list of stuff I want to do to it to include a 540 kit from Thumper racing.

Questions.  Does anyone make a header pipe for this bike?  I am not changing the stock exhaust but the header pipe is fairly rusted. 

The big is jetted for 3000' feet but runs cool so I will leave as is. 

Love your Honda and I still have one too but a 600R, I switched to KTM 300 XCW in 2010 from a CRF450X and have never looked back. Just sold the 2010 to thin the stable but I still have a 2012 KTM300 XCW, 2014 KTM450 SXF-FE that I race along with picking up a 2017 KTM450 EXC-F 6 Days that I'm uncorking, just had the ECU remapped and taking care of all the smog/slip on/thermo elimination once back from a BITD trail ride this weekend.. 

1173760_544670285581765_1064550067_n.jpg

12316392_884485011600289_4027946102145777821_n.jpg

16114440_1154498054598982_3183908388089513117_n.jpg

16422682_953055204828652_9194391303412271499_o.jpg

17499484_1216152315100222_8808110120053400352_n.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking stable you got there. There is nothing better than a fat tire XR600R!!

• Like 1

So I picked it up tonight.  I will get some pics of it up soon.

Question though.  The bike is cherry and only has 150 hours on it however, when I put it in gear I get a lot of jump from the back tire before letting the clutch out.  Also the transmission feels a little notchy but the bike also wasn't warmed up. Is this normal on a cold trans?  It has the original clutch on it. 

It seems the hydraulic clutch setup on KTM's tends to be a little picky when its cold. My 2014 450 xcw does the same "dragging" clutch until it warms up. I just fire it up and let it idle a few mins while im getting ready. A no cost solution otherwise you could throw a bunch of money needlessly on a prob you cant correct (unless you put on a Rekluse).
  • Like 1

Nah.  Not into wasting money.  The wife doesn't like that.  ;)

I will get it warmed up and check it out.

Going to see how it performs before dropping the money on the 540 kit but that looks like a lot of fun though.

• Like 1

Great looking bike!  Around here in GA that's $3800 to 4200 all day.  Is that an overflow bottle tucked behind the front plate?

• Like 1

On March 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Z06PSI said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Changed the oil last night to Rotella T6 as I used it in my XR with zero issues.  Got a list of stuff I want to do to it to include a 540 kit from Thumper racing.

Questions.  Does anyone make a header pipe for this bike?  I am not changing the stock exhaust but the header pipe is fairly rusted. 

The big is jetted for 3000' feet but runs cool so I will leave as is. 

I've seen a few new header pipes on ebay, looks like they are fabricated in Asia. Less then $200.  Of course used ones on ebay, some don't look too bad.  

Nice bike!

My clutch drags on my 06' 525. It is very common. Not a thing to worry about. 

I bought my bike with 37hrs on it last year. Paid $3500.00. These 10 year old KTM's are a complete steal for the performance you get vs. price point. 

It can be hard to find a good deal though. Had to search far and low for mine. Passed up many a good bike along the way. 

Edited by Bobatsea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Lane said:

Great looking bike!  Around here in GA that's $3800 to 4200 all day.  Is that an overflow bottle tucked behind the front plate?

Thanks!  Yeah I put the surge tank up there.  If it doesn't get anything in it after riding it a few times I will remove it. 

4 hours ago, Scott Lane said:

I've seen a few new header pipes on ebay, looks like they are fabricated in Asia. Less then $200.  Of course used ones on ebay, some don't look too bad.  

What all models fit this bike?  Here is the 07 model line up.

400 XC 

450 XC

525 XC

400 XC-W

525 XC-W

450 EXC 

525 EXC 

I believe all those will fit your bike.  From 04 to 07. 08 the motors changed.  03 and below had a two piece header pipe.

This is my old ragged ass 05....I'll never sell this bike. If I get something newer this will be my buddy bike. Two daughters in college....hell I buy a new KTM every semester!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Scott Lane