2017 1000 sportsman

I have always been a fan of honda and yamaha but i was thinking about 1000 sportsman. Does anyone have any complaints about previous years thx.

Polaris quality and fit/finish has improved over the years. 

Saying that, I know many people that have had issues with driveshafts, steering and suspension components failing prematurely. 

Working in the trenches every day at a large Polaris dealership, among many others including Honda, I may have some insight, the 2 machines are apples and oranges, hondas are very reliable, low maintenance, high quality parts and very very low cost per mile. This in mind, they are not the highest performance machines avail. Polaris machines are less money to buy on the front end sticker price, reliability is less than ideal, accessories are way way way overpriced. They require more frequent maintenance, have lower quality components and the filters and lubes are again, very over priced. That being said they make more hp and are higher performance. Than a Honda or Yamaha utility full size. The hondas are a fine country girl that can stack bales and change your tire fir you, long term. The Polaris machines are a supermodel you take on a few dates, till you see what she looks like w/o her makeup. These are just the differences I have seen time and time again working in the industry for many years. Also these are just my personal opinions and many others are likely to disagree. Ultimately you know what your looking for and may I have helped you bf you get in bed w a machine for the next 60 months that you don't love.

• Like 1

Also, during the time you own a sportsman full size expect to replace each and every wear part on the suspension including all a-arm bushing front and rear and all 4 wheel bearings. I could go on and on. I do not have any axes to grind with any of the manufactures. At all. However I see the same repairs on the same machines, day in and day out. Lastly be very careful with the thumb throttle on the polaris's. They are a brittle HDPE plastic and break really easy. New ones are $ 99.99. See comment above. ....

• Like 1

Lastly, but not least, the front and rear fenders on the 16-17 sportsman xp's are 600-700$ each. These machines absolutely need accessory numbers front and rear. In stock trim everything, I mean everything is plastic. Including the racks. They cannot weather a roll over or heavy use long term. Just looking to help. Again no axes to grind. Just experience to share.

• Like 1