fork leak

went riding today and my son backed my bike Honda 2000 xr200r off the pick up truck and just let the front end hit the ground hard. I noticed that fluid had come out from the boot and dripped down the fork. did my son just bust my seal ?

20170326_143143_resized.jpg

Edited by jemstudio2006

I'll be honest with you. I've never seen a seal "blow" on any of the bikes I have had. Not saying it can't happen but I think many of us confuse the term "blown seal" with just wear from age or a poor quality product. I have also found that more than half of my leaks are nothing more than dirt caught in the seal that allows to pass. That can be fixed with a seal doctor or something to slide in between the fork slider and the seal and clean the obstruction out

if I was to guess, that leak has been there a while.  The oil inside the boot was finally able to escape when you saw the front end impact the ground when it came off the truck.  Try cleaning the seal first. If tha doesn't work but a quality seal and wiper kit and replace it. But I don't think the boy caused it. Doesn't mean he should get a little talking to about not taking care of other peoples stuff and jacking up dad's bike, but it probably wasn't the reason

• Like 1

More likely that the seal leak was caused by strapping it down too much in the back of your truck. Common way to blow the seals. Try using a 2x4 cut a bit shorter than the space between the tire and the fender to get the straps tight without over compressing your forks.

• Like 1

I was thinking replacing the front forks completely .. would like to upgrade the front suspension .. what do you guys suggest ?

I went with racetech gold valves and thicker fork oil for the front and my rear is fully adjustable with the '87s & '88. However on another thread someone mentioned going to a guy in N. Carolina and that he can get the stock forks to outperform the gold valves, so I'm thinking of going that route for my buddy bike to see if its' what I want.

• Like 1

Bruce Triplett is likely the best vintage suspension tuner in the USA.  He will make any DR fork better than what you will end up with Race Tech Cartridge Emulators.  Many CRF230F riders have ditched Race Tech Cartridge Emulators for his forks and I am one of them.

He loves to talk so give him a call to talk about your options.  He is a very straight shooter and his customer service is great.

Bruce's Suspension Service
350 Skysail Road
Salisbury, NC 28146
(704) 637-3675

brucetriplett@bellsouth.net

http://www.brucessuspension.net

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ShaneXR200R said:

Any idea what he does to them ........?  There's a guy near Walla Walla, WA that does a lot of suspension work in the Northwest that keeps the emulators, but converts them to shim stacks.  It takes the emulators to the next level.  I was amazed after seeing how they worked.

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al
  • Like 1

That is nice to know, I pass through Walla Walla from time to time on my way over to visit relatives in Idaho.

The quote above is from Vortecs' post on the 230/200 fork compatibility thread:

PDR Motorsports

Milton-Freewater, Oregon (next door to Walla Walla)

541-938-3868  Douglas Keltner

He has a Facebook page.

He usually has way too much going on, and you don't want to be in a hurry.

Old School Al

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Old School Al said:

Any idea what he does to them ........? 

My understanding after following the thread on the CRF230F, is that Bruce welds up some of the damper rod holes and redrills them with varying sizes, giving somewhat of an emulation of cartridge forks. You send your dampers to him, he mods them, then sends them back.

I forget the Poster's name who was living in N Carolina w/ the XL 200, he was going to get them done, but never posted his results.

I was interested for one of my Son's bikes, but shelved the idea, until I heard of someone else giving some results.

VortecCPI (CRF230F) has a very favorable write up on them compared to the RT emulators and I know Beezer put some RT emulators in his Son's XR200R and was not a fan and gave them to Chadzu and from what I can gather from Chadzu, was impressed with the RT emulators, but not overly so.

Michael

Ok..............  With that mod you still wouldn't have adjustment other than oil viscosity .............. and can't change compression without changing rebound.

I believe there is a problem when most Emulators are installed, as they add way too much preload which requires a shorter spring to correct.  Too much preload really messes things up right from the get go.  What we did was cut the spring, collapse the end coil, and with a fixture I made ground the end exactly like stock.  After installing the Emulator we had zero preload and could adjust/tune more as required.  We did OSJ's XR218R this way with Shimulators (modified Emulators) and mine with stock Emulators.

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:25 AM, Go Big Red said:

I'll be honest with you. I've never seen a seal "blow" on any of the bikes I have had. Not saying it can't happen but I think many of us confuse the term "blown seal" with just wear from age or a poor quality product. I have also found that more than half of my leaks are nothing more than dirt caught in the seal that allows to pass. That can be fixed with a seal doctor or something to slide in between the fork slider and the seal and clean the obstruction out

if I was to guess, that leak has been there a while.  The oil inside the boot was finally able to escape when you saw the front end impact the ground when it came off the truck.  Try cleaning the seal first. If tha doesn't work but a quality seal and wiper kit and replace it. But I don't think the boy caused it. Doesn't mean he should get a little talking to about not taking care of other peoples stuff and jacking up dad's bike, but it probably wasn't the reason

you were right ...the fork seals are full of sand and that's why there leaking. now I wanna clean them up and change the oil on them . what oil do I use and how much air do I put in each fork ? also how much oil goes in each fork ?

Edited by jemstudio2006

Oil weight depends on your. I have stick springs and use ATF for my oil. Then I put about 5 to 7 pounds in the forks.  It again, that's up to you. This is a good chance to play with fork oils a little and with air. 

Try ATF first. It's cheap and most of us have it around.  It's about 10 weight.  If it's too stiff then you can try a 7 or 5.  If it's too soft then you might want to try stiffer springs. 

On 3/27/2017 at 7:50 AM, ShaneXR200R said:

More likely that the seal leak was caused by strapping it down too much in the back of your truck. Common way to blow the seals. Try using a 2x4 cut a bit shorter than the space between the tire and the fender to get the straps tight without over compressing your forks.

Seals leak from wear and dirt, not preload from tie downs.  If the seals are bad they will leak anytime you increase air pressure in the forks;   when you tie down the bike, or when you hit a big bump, or anything else that compresses the forks. As previously posted try to clean out any dirt.  Best seals are Honda.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:50 PM, Go Big Red said:

Hey Al.  I'm on the west side and Devol does a lot over here. I'm open to seeing what that ole boy in walla walla does. You have his contact Info?

I read on the PNW forum that Devol was no longer doing revalves.

If you want the next level of damping control consider OSA's recommendation, certainly a lot cheaper than cartridge forks.

Edited by Chuck.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:25 AM, Go Big Red said:

well I took the forks apart and cleaned them out really good. left fork had 4.1 oz of oil and the right fork had 5.4oz  also the springs free were 18 in long

Edited by jemstudio2006

On 3/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, Go Big Red said:

But I don't think the boy caused it. Doesn't mean he should get a little talking to about not taking care of other peoples stuff and jacking up dad's bike, but it probably wasn't the reason

Not to derail the thread but am I the only one that doesn't think letting the front end "drop" out of the back of a truck is a big deal on a dirt bike?  Don't get me wrong, if there was some deliberate abuse going on, I'd be fully supportive of a little chat with Junior.  But letting the front end drop from a truck bed height doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  Personally, if a buddy was miffed that I'd done that to his bike, I'd invite him to unload his own bike after that.  And then I'd walk over and unload mine the same way.