Jump to content

Ideas for riding E California, my May road trip

Recommended Posts

I'm taking a few weeks to tour the Western USA. I anticipate being in SoCal in early May, driving north on 395 up to Klamath Falls Oregon. What kind of riding will be good that time of the year?

I will have a 2016 TE300 Husky for the gnarly stuff, and I have a 2016 fe450 set up for dual sport for pavement/gravel/adventure time. The latter bike can do pretty much anything and I will have a 5.3 gallon tank on it.

 

008.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably have 7-10 days on the 395, might hit a ski resort as well if snow is still any good. My riding skill is not expert, but I'm a solid advanced rider with a plenty of experience in mountains and dunes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good riding around Bishop and Mammoth.  There is a fun side trip out of Lone Pine that takes you up the mountains east of 395 to the ghost town of Cerro Gordo.  From there you can continue up to the Burgess Mine and the remnants of the old salt tram.  You will be up around 9,000 ft. and around the bristle cone pines.  You will have a view of the Owens Valley on one side, and the Saline Valley on the other.  Not a trip to take alone.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I'm typically riding. Video of my first ride on this 300.  Mountains and woods. Hope something like this is available?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Here's what I'm typically riding. Video of my first ride on this 300.  Mountains and woods. Hope something like this is available?

 

 

 

We have a lot of single track like that mixed with hills and tech here in So Cal. If you like a lot of suffering (pushing) letting all the air out of your back tire, and 5mph averages , hit me up.

nice bikes by the way!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

I'm taking a few weeks to tour the Western USA. I anticipate being in SoCal in early May, driving north on 395 up to Klamath Falls Oregon. What kind of riding will be good that time of the year?

I will have a 2016 TE300 Husky for the gnarly stuff, and I have a 2016 fe450 set up for dual sport for pavement/gravel/adventure time. The latter bike can do pretty much anything and I will have a 5.3 gallon tank on it.

 

008.JPG

since you already spend a lot of time in the woods, would you be interested seeing a little bit different or mixed terrain?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheW0LF said:

since you already spend a lot of time in the woods, would you be interested seeing a little bit different or mixed terrain?

I'd love to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I'd love to. 

you might scratch your bike. im not sure how you feel about that, but i just wanted to put it out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, yeah, well I have a reputation of being a bike abusing hack with a high max limit on the credit card. I've followed your stories about the snake pit a bit so.... I know you guys ride some challenging stuff. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got some GPS tracks out of Bishop from the VCMC dual sport ride they put on last year. Woodcutter and Blackrock Canyon were on the same loop and pretty close to Bishop. PM me your email addy and I can send you the gpx file.




  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Oh, yeah, well I have a reputation of being a bike abusing hack with a high max limit on the credit card. I've followed your stories about the snake pit a bit so.... I know you guys ride some challenging stuff. 

 

 

 

Hey ? Tanker great song. You know I've heard it sung more than once. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevethe said:

By the way the Snake PIt will open its doors to ya if your up to it. A little out of your way tho as it's south of the 395 / 14 junction. 

I'd be an ungrateful fool to pass on an invite to such a storied place. I'm in.  

I will ill have been through Moab, Arizona, and a contestant in the Desert 100 by then, so as long as I'm physically able and I have a running bike left....

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I'd be an ungrateful fool to pass on an invite to such a storied place. I'm in.  

I will ill have been through Moab, Arizona, and a contestant in the Desert 100 by then, so as long as I'm physically able and I have a running bike left....

It could even be a group ride the easy way if more pep's want in just let me know. There is some legendary stuff there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevethe said:

It could even be a group ride the easy way if more pep's want in just let me know. There is some legendary stuff there. 

I'm fine with stuff that is challenging, makes you sweat like a dog, pretty common for us here to ride for 6-8 hrs in a day. The fall to your death cliffs not so much. 

That is one thing about this sport, level of difficulty is not easily defined like it is with skiing.

I'm not afraid of heights, it's the sudden and long drops that bother me. In the pics below, The first one for me, no go... a guy fell to his death there a few years back...to the right of "The North Side of Clifty" goes down very steep and a very long way...3rd pic shows to underbelly of Clifty. I did the ride at midnight in an interesting youtube stunt...had a little trouble lighting my campfire at the top.   My primary trail ride now is my te300, quite a bit lighter and more agile than that fat pig 350 pictured below! After a month or two of riding in this area, the rear of my bike is pictured last. 

I've seen a couple of vids from your outings in the past, good stuff. Can you post up a favorite, something by your primary movie maker? I'll check it out and make sure my skills are up to snuff by the time I get there...

Josh Naches Trails 031.JPG

Josh Naches Trails 062.JPG

Josh Naches Trails 064.JPG

Naches mid july 2016 024.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I'm fine with stuff that is challenging, makes you sweat like a dog, pretty common for us here to ride for 6-8 hrs in a day. The fall to your death cliffs not so much. 

That is one thing about this sport, level of difficulty is not easily defined like it is with skiing.

I'm not afraid of heights, it's the sudden and long drops that bother me. In the pics below, The first one for me, no go... a guy fell to his death there a few years back...to the right of "The North Side of Clifty" goes down very steep and a very long way...3rd pic shows to underbelly of Clifty. I did the ride at midnight in an interesting youtube stunt...had a little trouble lighting my campfire at the top.   My primary trail ride now is my te300, quite a bit lighter and more agile than that fat pig 350 pictured below! After a month or two of riding in this area, the rear of my bike is pictured last. 

I've seen a couple of vids from your outings in the past, good stuff. Can you post up a favorite, something by your primary movie maker? I'll check it out and make sure my skills are up to snuff by the time I get there...

Josh Naches Trails 031.JPG

Josh Naches Trails 062.JPG

Josh Naches Trails 064.JPG

Naches mid july 2016 024.JPG

Fall to the death ? is not on the agenda. 

There is a couple of technical hills on the tough way in. However we could turn tail from them and still go in the easier way. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just promise to drag my dead corpse to the car if needed. Life insurance fully paid up. 

Stoked, look forward to being a guest rider with you guys. Thanks 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 10:26 PM, TigerTanker said:

I'd love to. 

I'd be careful...  I think part of the motivation for the invite is to watch your anguish as you un-polish that bling machine you got there.  LOLOLOLOL

But if you show and suffer the suffering without tears I predict you will surely be warmly welcomed. :smirk:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I'd be careful...  I think part of the motivation for the invite is to watch your anguish as you un-polish that bling machine you got there.  LOLOLOLOL

But if you show and suffer the suffering without tears I predict you will surely be warmly welcomed. :smirk:

Yeah, I've read about your clan of riders... I see that Wolf commented about Riddler being the only rider to not get injured or have bike damage as a noob at snake pit 

Edited by TigerTanker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×