Modding CRF230F for adult.

My wife has a CRF125F and we're talking about getting a dedicated offroad bike for me.  I've sat on a few and really like the KTMs and Betas but don't like the high price tags or the frequent rebuilds.  Ditto the MX offerings from Honda, Yamaha, etal.

I'm 6'0 and 220 in riding gear and loaded backpack. 

The CRF230F seat height is about 34" and sinks to the point that I'm flat footing it at a standstill.

I understand that these are "tweener" bikes intended  primarily for younger folks who aren't quite ready for a full on MX bike.  However, I'm attracted to the low price, reliability, and ease of maintenance.  I'm also middle aged and new to offroading.  I don't think that I will be blasting along logging trails any time soon so the lack of power isn't a concern at this point, if ever.  An added bonus is that I don't need to stock up on separate oil and filters.  

Anyway, from reading threads here and elsewhere, I will probably have to modify the suspension and handlebar height.

Thus, I will need:

Fox Pro Rear Shock with 225# spring.

Gold valves

HD front springs.

Handle bar risers as needed.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Also, what will be the increase in unsprung seat height?  Part of getting older means that I'm not as flexible as I used to be.  Swinging a leg over the saddle is tough enough on my KLR.  I can't imagine trying it on a 37" tall bike.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I myself am middle aged and ride a 230. I am 200# butt naked after a good crap and am 6 ft tall. Front fork wise you need to have Bruce Triplett rework your damper rods and springs, it is cheaper than gold valves and works better. Fox shock is an excellent choice, Hagon shock is cheaper and I haven't been able to outride it yet. Main thing is to first jet it properly, it is miserably lean from the factory.

• Like 2

If your 220 pounds your right in the middle of the fox 550 spring or 600 spring.  I have had plenty or 200/240 pound riders test my bike. With 550 spring all liked it.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 8:50 PM, Confederate said:

I myself am middle aged and ride a 230. I am 200# butt naked after a good crap and am 6 ft tall. Front fork wise you need to have Bruce Triplett rework your damper rods and springs, it is cheaper than gold valves and works better. Fox shock is an excellent choice, Hagon shock is cheaper and I haven't been able to outride it yet. Main thing is to first jet it properly, it is miserably lean from the factory.

I'm about your size as well.  I've read most posts about Bruce's front fork work and I've looked at his site.  What I never see is what it runs cost wise.  If you don't mind can you share the ballpark cost?  PM if you don't want to put it on public display.  Thanks.

I'm about your size as well.  I've read most posts about Bruce's front fork work and I've looked at his site.  What I never see is what it runs cost wise.  If you don't mind can you share the ballpark cost?  PM if you don't want to put it on public display.  Thanks.

He gets $70 to modify rods, $20 to cut springs for your weight and includes pvc spacer. Plus shipping of course.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Confederate said:

He gets $70 to modify rods, $20 to cut springs for your weight and includes pvc spacer. Plus shipping of course.

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm looking at a few candidates and hoping to pick up my 230 in the next week or two.  I've pretty much decided to go the Bruce route, given the high praise.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

You cant go wrong with Bruce's mods and cheap price. All other options (different Forks like I have done) very costly. Bruce stands behind his work.

5 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

You cant go wrong with Bruce's mods and cheap price. All other options (different Forks like I have done) very costly. Bruce stands behind his work.

That's what I keep reading.  My game plan is to narrow down some prospects, pick up the bike(s) (it may be two) and take a day and just go straight to Bruce and get the work done.  I'm a 30 year+ street guy, but took a couple of Dirt Bike School classes with my kids at the Honda MSF school in Alpharetta, GA.  I realized I'm 30+ years late on getting on the dirt.  Anyway, stalking TT and doing my research for the kind of riding I expect to do, the 230F is the right bike.  Thanks to all of you who contribute to this thread, it's been a great help!

Edited by scridercoach
  • Like 1

Get some decent tires if the bike you end up with has stock rubber. They are rubbish, if not downright dangerous.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kkim said:

Get some decent tires if the bike you end up with has stock rubber. They are rubbish, if not downright dangerous.

HAAA Well put,  but the whole bike dangerous stock.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

HAAA Well put,  but the whole bike dangerous stock.

I totally agree, but no one ever mentions tires as a means to get the most out of their 230. Just reminding the OP that tires are pretty much a necessity even when upgrading suspension.

• Like 2

Well.... I finally am part of the "Club".  Picked up a 2012 today, totally stock, except for some horrific graphic.  Well horrific for a guy in his early 50's.  The tires, however, were replaced prior to the sale, IRC's with heavy duty tubes.  So, now just have to take it out when I can, see how she feels and get on all the mods she'll need.