Ktm 85 or ttr 125

I'm looking for a bike for my 12 year old who's only ridden a pw80 for the last couple seasons.  Obviously now it's time to upgrade.

my question is would a ktm 85 be to much for him to handle, being he's never used a clutch before? I don't really know much about those little 2 strokes.  Is it possible to tame them down if need be?

my other option would be a ttr 125 and being I used to ride a 230, I'm kind of familiar with the ease of riding those bikes.

any info or opinions would be appreciated 

If you're kid is fearless , aggressive and can deal with pain get the 85. If you want to casual trail ride and fun get him the ttr. The ttr125 will be a very forgiving to learn the clutch and to improve skills. He could outgrow the ttr125 in a year but the experience would be worth it.  

The ktm 85 puts out 24hp, the ttr125 is 10-12hp 

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

I'd go with the ttr125. That 85 is a rocket. Better he's comfortable learning the clutch and gaining confidence. Let him outgrow it at his own pace. Those bikes always sell, so unless he totals it, you'll get your money back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jason76 said:

Pretty much what I thought, he's not an aggressive kinda of kid.  I was basically looking for reassurance on my gut feeling.  Sometimes there's a difference between what Dad wants him to ride vs what he should be riding instead. lol   

I put my wife on a kx100 , after 6 months she was on a ttr125. 

I rode a ttr230 as my first bike for 2 seasons before recently purchasing a 300 and I loved that bike.  So much fun on the single track without worrying about having too much bike as a beginner.  I liked it because I was able to advance onto the more difficult trails with confidence.  Even made it up a few of the more extreme trails.  I think a ttr 125 will be a perfect bike for him as well.  Low maintenance, cheap and a good trail bike.  

IMG_1713.JPG

• Like 1

If your going to go 4 stroke you might look for a used Honda 80. They are a lighter bike, low seat height, decent ground clearance and a great beginner first clutch bike to learn on. You can change the front sprocket and gear it down so he can lug it a little more.

My son went from a Honda 50 to a Honda 70 to a Honda 80 then to a Kawasaki KX 100.

• Like 1