Dual sport tire reviews?

I'm looking for some input on my next set of rear tires. I've been running non D.O.T. tires and I want to change that, hoping to get a little more life out of my tires. I want an 80/20 dirt tire as I ride a lot of single track and woods trails. But I do slab it on occasion. I'm thinking about the motoz tractionator enduro s/t, or the kendra track master II. (Just because they are so cheap!)

I know I'm not gonna get a ton of mileage but just looking for the most life for the buck without losing traction. I look forward to getting your input, thanks guys

• Like 2

The rear TrackMaster is a very good off-road tire, wears fast on pavement though. My buddy has the Dunlop 606, it does pavement and dirt good, and seems to wear much slower than my TM

• Like 3

+1 for the Trackmaster II (760s) I had them on my bike for a while and loved the grip off road.  I wound up using the bike more on the street than I ever thought I would and switched over to Shinko 244's. I love them as well as long as you know there are more limitations in the dirt but they feel like a road tire to me on the street compared to a knobby. 

• Like 1

I have been running Dunlop D606's front and back on my DRZ400s and they are pretty aggressive but DOT approved. Ride well off road and on pavement.

This when I just got them. Mounted and balanced them myself.

Dunlop D606.jpg

Edited by Greebe
  • Like 3

I have been running Dunlop D606's front and back on my DRZ400s and they are pretty aggressive but DOT approved. Ride well off road and on pavement.
This when I just got them. Mounted and balanced them myself.
Dunlop D606.jpg

I've read some reviews that said the 606's didn't feel very planted on the hard pack and gravel roads. Why are your thoughts about that? Those are definitely aggressive looking but I'm doing the Oregon BDR in June. Gonna need a tire good on packed dessert roads and gravel roads, as well as some western forestry type woods trails. That's why I'm looking at the Moto Z dessert I/T. But it's a bit more expensive. Trying to get more reviews on it.
  • Like 1

I've read some reviews that said the 606's didn't feel very planted on the hard pack and gravel roads. Why are your thoughts about that? Those are definitely aggressive looking but I'm doing the Oregon BDR in June. Gonna need a tire good on packed dessert roads and gravel roads, as well as some western forestry type woods trails. That's why I'm looking at the Moto Z dessert I/T. But it's a bit more expensive. Trying to get more reviews on it.

I've used a Trackmaster 2 (cheap) rear on those surfaces, much better than the 606 off road and grip pavement just fine, noisy on pavement though. I run MX52 fronts with various DOT rears. When are you doing OBCDR and what routes?

• Like 1

Yeah I guess on some gravel roads the felt a little swirly at times. I just figured it is my DRZ. Hehe!

Yeah I guess on some gravel roads the felt a little swirly at times. I just figured it is my DRZ. Hehe!

My brother's drz on 606s in Baja and he hates them. I thought they were ok, but not for the money compared to the kenda.
  • Like 1

I've used a Trackmaster 2 (cheap) rear on those surfaces, much better than the 606 off road and grip pavement just fine, noisy on pavement though. I run MX52 fronts with various DOT rears. When are you doing OBCDR and what routes?

I'm running mx32's on my front and other than the noise their great. I have buddies that swear by the trackmasters because of the price and because of their off road handling. So that's probably what I'll end up getting. We're going mid June. Gonna work out way down to south of lake view and make our way up to Senaca and over to painted hills/prineville. Then back through the billy chinook area towards sisters and home. Gonna be a long trip for that old WR of mine. Lol
  • Like 1

MY XR400 ate up trackmasters on the street, I was not conservative with them. The Kenda trkmstr is loud on the street and the street cornering is horrible due to the wide spacing of the side knobs. I have since sold the 400 and now have a 230f I've been running IRC TR8 Battle rally, I like them on and off road, I think the tread pattern similar but is a little tighter than that of the D606, either because of bigger and or more knobs, I have not done a side by side comp. The price of the TR8 and D606 are similar and am very satisfied with the TR8. definetley better in corners than a trkmstr on the pavement.

• Like 4

I put a few thousand miles on a set of Kenda K270's.  About 60/40 street and dirt respectively.  Great tires.  Very long wearing, excellent traction on hard packed surfaces and they do fine in soft sand as well.  Would probably clog up in sticky mud but we are talking dual sport tires so what do you really expect.

Would not even consider running another dual sport tire.  These are great tires especially for the price.

• Like 3

I really like the moto Z tires but my tire of choice right now is the Michelin Star Cross 5 it hooks up great and wears well. Also don't think that if the tire is D.O.T. it wont hook up check out this list of dot tires and you will see how aggressive some are. 

D.O.T Knobby Tire List

• Like 1

I really like the moto Z tires but my tire of choice right now is the Michelin Star Cross 5 it hooks up great and wears well. Also don't think that if the tire is D.O.T. it wont hook up check out this list of dot tires and you will see how aggressive some are. 
D.O.T Knobby Tire List

I've never felt that a tire couldn't perform well just because it's a D.O.T. tire. Several of my friends rum the Kendra tm2 and they are great for the short commute to our single track woods riding areas. But they are noisy, and I want a knobbie that has decent manners on the county roads and will stay planted on the gravel and hard pack roads. I may just give moto z a try this time.
  • Like 1

D606 is a pretty decent rear, shitty front.

MT21 rear is about the same as the 606, front is WAY better and you can flip it if it picks up that funny wear pattern from slabbing.

The 690R really eats up rears so I'm currently trying the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T.

Where I ride it's dry, mostly rocks, a bit of cinders, sand and dirt. Little mud.

I think the thread began as a rear tire one, but if we're discussing fronts too, my Pirelli MT16 is the best DOT front I've ever run. It's predictable and doesn't do a surprise abrupt tuck on me, has good feel to the handlebar

• Like 1

D606 is a pretty decent rear, shitty front.
MT21 rear is about the same as the 606, front is WAY better and you can flip it if it picks up that funny wear pattern from slabbing.
The 690R really eats up rears so I'm currently trying the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T.
Where I ride it's dry, mostly rocks, a bit of cinders, sand and dirt. Little mud.

How many miles do you have on the desert H/T? How do you like it so far? I'm looking at more of an I/T I think but still leaning towards the tractionator

3 hours ago, ridesanoldbike said:

How many miles do you have on the desert H/T? How do you like it so far? I'm looking at more of an I/T I think but still leaning towards the tractionator

Put it on 5 or 6 days ago. We're still getting cold and snow, maybe 50 miles, mostly off road. Nothing obviously bad. It has tall knobs, maybe 3/4" and I can feel the flex, but that was at 20#, it felt like lower pressure. Much better than the MT21 with 1/4" remaining. :lol: 

• Like 1

I've been running the MOTOZ ht's on my plated xr650r with good results. We did a 2k mile Baja ride in December (mostly dirt), and have put a few hundred road miles on them since returning home. The rear still has close to 50% remaining, and the front is @65% but it's getting cupped from hard braking. We ran into some other "old Baja dogs" down there who we're running the same tires. They told me they've been getting 3k miles from the rear HT's. The xr650r usually chews up rear tires, so I'm really impressed with the longevity. The street manners are good too, and I'm able to carve turns with confidence. Once I run this set down I'll be spooning on my 3rd set of new MOTOZ HT's. I've also been running the MOTOZ ST on the front of my crf450x/plated, and can't seem to wear it out...mostly dirt miles though. The ST's sidewalls are a bit soft on rocky trails, but it hasn't chunked one bit and no pinch flatting...I'm using tubliss

• Like 4

I've been running the MOTOZ ht's on my plated xr650r with good results. We did a 2k mile Baja ride in December (mostly dirt), and have put a few hundred road miles on them since returning home. The rear still has close to 50% remaining, and the front is @65% but it's getting cupped from hard braking. We ran into some other "old Baja dogs" down there who we're running the same tires. They told me they've been getting 3k miles from the rear HT's. The xr650r usually chews up rear tires, so I'm really impressed with the longevity. The street manners are good too, and I'm able to carve turns with confidence. Once I run this set down I'll be spooning on my 3rd set of new MOTOZ HT's. I've also been running the MOTOZ ST on the front of my crf450x/plated, and can't seem to wear it out...mostly dirt miles though. The ST's sidewalls are a bit soft on rocky trails, but it hasn't chunked one bit and no pinch flatting...I'm using tubliss

Nice, I'm gonna go with the enduro I/T. I think it is gonna be the best for what I ride out here in the west. I'll post a review here after my bdr trip in June.