Cracked Silencer Pipe

I removed my silencer today to access the carburetor and noticed a significant crack in the pipe that is attached to the silencer. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way to fix this? Also is this messing with the exhaust system that much to cause a backfire? I know exhaust leaks where the head pipe meets the cylinder head is bad, but is this crack that necessary to fix. I browsed Ebay for a replacement OEM silencer, but almost all of the silencers had the same crack. Any advice will be much appreciated. The bike is a 2007 model.  

Silencer crack.jpg

I am facing the same problem and looking for a replacement.Was wondering what other years would fit an 07. 

you could weld it.   Its pretty thin so you would have to be careful but I would think someone that knows how to weld could do it.

I think it's titanium or something else weird. My header cracked and Tig/mig welding didn't work.

I have my stock one off my 06. Has about 15 hours on the packing. Fits 06-08 Make an offer. I'll sell it pretty cheap. eBay -PayPal whatever

Image1490665953.227215.jpgImage1490665991.312890.jpg

I had the same problem with my previous bike.

I have a friend welder and he welded it with wedling machine with argon gas. He did the same many time with the header pipes of dirt bikes.

If you can push the pipe and make the crack smaller it could be welded without adding additional material(titanium).

If the crack is bigger you have add additional material during the welding. 100cm of titanuim wire in Bulgaria costs about 50 euro.

Do not try to weld it with material different than titanuim, it will be cracked after the first use!

Edited by phatsmall

Not to turn it into a how to weld thread ... but brazing it may be easier and probably better than welding.  Strictly technically brazing is a form of welding.

To the original question as to whether it is a problem or not.   In terms of to the engine and the exhaust flow, it truly does not care.  The more holes and the more flow the better.  In terms of what it means to you the rider and owner.  If not fixed, you will have more heat and fumes coming up between your legs than those hot chilli bean farts.  Metal cracks do not stop either, they grow.  Eventually the muffler will split and fall off; at that moment you hope that it doesn't catch in the tire and send itself through under the fender between the tire and the frame --- may make steering or landing the jump a challenge!   It will make one hell of a racket before then tho, you'll be fine.

Braze it, or replace it.

Edited by FaceDeAce