Things to know about the KTM 105 XC?

Hi guys!

I'm going to go into hare scramble type races soon and I wanted to get a new machine for it as my old beater YZ80 is pretty bad offroad. My father knows a guy who bought a 2009 KTM 105 XC for his son to ride but his kid moved up to a 150 XC, so I'm considering buying the bike from him. I can't find very much information about the bike online. A few things I want to know are:

• Can it use pistons from the 105 SX? I can't find any 105 XC specific pistons online. I heard KTM has like "Group A" type pistons that are all one size but I don't know if that's true.
  • Any way to bore it out to 112cc? I can't find any pistons advertised at larger than 52mm (aka stock)
  • What's the best exhaust for offroad racing? Turbinecore 2?

Anybody's contributions will be appreciated!

On March 27, 2017 at 0:57 AM, PNWRacer said:

Hi guys!

I'm going to go into hare scramble type races soon and I wanted to get a new machine for it as my old beater YZ80 is pretty bad offroad. My father knows a guy who bought a 2009 KTM 105 XC for his son to ride but his kid moved up to a 150 XC, so I'm considering buying the bike from him. I can't find very much information about the bike online. A few things I want to know are:

• Can it use pistons from the 105 SX? I can't find any 105 XC specific pistons online. I heard KTM has like "Group A" type pistons that are all one size but I don't know if that's true.
  • Any way to bore it out to 112cc? I can't find any pistons advertised at larger than 52mm (aka stock)
  • What's the best exhaust for offroad racing? Turbinecore 2?

Anybody's contributions will be appreciated!

KTM (Vertex) has A and B size pistons.  The 105 XC is pretty much a 105sx with softer valving in the suspension, and a mount for a kick stand on the frame, other than that, same bike, pistons are the same for either bike.  No boring to a 112, if you did and could you'd lose all the reliability imo, but nope, no 112.  Best exhaust is the one you cn afford that is quiet, and USFS approved.  They all are pretty close to the same, personal preference ( I run a TC2), and would stay away from a screen type if I were you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

KTM (Vertex) has A and B size pistons.  The 105 XC is pretty much a 105sx with softer valving in the suspension, and a mount for a kick stand on the frame, other than that, same bike, pistons are the same for either bike.  No boring to a 112, if you did and could you'd lose all the reliability imo, but nope, no 112.  Best exhaust is the one you cn afford that is quiet, and USFS approved.  They all are pretty close to the same, personal preference ( I run a TC2), and would stay away from a screen type if I were you.

we have one and this is true

On 3/28/2017 at 3:26 AM, poldies4 said:

OK. That helps a lot. Thanks!

On 3/28/2017 at 3:26 AM, poldies4 said:

Question: will a pipe for an '08 105 work on an '09? Pro Circuit makes nice spark arrestors but they say they only go from '04 to '08. I know KTM made 105s in the '09 model though.

1 hour ago, PNWRacer said:

Question: will a pipe for an '08 105 work on an '09? Pro Circuit makes nice spark arrestors but they say they only go from '04 to '08. I know KTM made 105s in the '09 model though.

On March 28, 2017 at 7:18 AM, slideleft said:

we have one and this is true

Any help with that question?  I assume it would fit, I don't think the 105 really changed over those years?  

Was it last year or 15 that the 85/105 finally got a upgrade. The 105 is top end only but was dropped from the line and the 85 lived on with a hard parts 105 top end upgrade , pipes were all the same until the new motor came out.