Backcountry Camping Off a Bike

I ride a WR450F and would like to start taking it in the back country with my buddies who ride their quads to camp and am looking for some ideas for setups to carry my camping gear. 

Thus far I am thinking of putting a ProMoto rear rack on with a dry bag on top, and maybe some Nelson Rigg enduro saddle bags (possibly other brand), but am not sure if I should be looking at any other options. I know there are some other cool brands out there, but don't have enough experience to know what features I should be considering  

My vision would be to carry my backpacking camp gear on my bike (small tent, sleeping bag, minimalist cook gear, food, and some misc camp gear), and throw a hydration pack on my back. But I'd like to see if anyone has any better suggestions. 

Any thoughts / pics would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

That's a cool setup!

how much does it bounce around?

28 minutes ago, LRB said:

That's a cool setup!

how much does it bounce around?

Ya I have no idea BUT I have seen similar set-ups in the ADVrider forum http://advrider.com/index.php

and that was just the first pic I found when I google image searched.

Having the trailer would be nice if you wanted to take say a BBQ, cooler etc but some point you need to figure out you want to do.

My suggestion is plan out a short one night trip but before hand set-up your bike with what you think you need then go for a good local ride with all the stuff to see how it works and feels before heading out into the bush. As well if your going solo or with friends, you can split up the stuff.

And there is numerous topics on TT about setting up the bike for camping if you search and FYI put your search in quotes.

I do a lot of dirt bike/camping but its 5 or 6 day trips to cool OHV areas but at my age its in my van with my bikes and I take EVERY THING I think I need. Tent I can park my bikes in, kayak etc etc etc :)

20160629_182541.jpg

• Like 2

I've looked into those Giant Loop bags, they seem pretty awesome. Why not replace the tent with a hammock or simple tarp and 2 ropes. Then find two sticks and make a simple shelter. Both options will cut down on your carried load.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasongind said:

I've looked into those Giant Loop bags, they seem pretty awesome. Why not replace the tent with a hammock or simple tarp and 2 ropes. Then find two sticks and make a simple shelter. Both options will cut down on your carried load.

Agreed on lightening up the load. Thankfully I have some great ultralight backpacking gear already, so hopefully I can just use that. 

But I carry my hammock with me quite often to take a nap midday when it starts getting hot. 

I also carry a little Emberlit wood burning stove to cook up a nice little meal. 

• Like 1

Just got my Promoto rack installed. ?

Im on my way to a couple nice trips this season!

IMG_0078.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 4:57 PM, filterx said:

Depending on where you are going and how much stuff you want to bring, there is always this option :)

p1000396grg.jpg

But also check out the Dual Sport forum

Leave it to a miner!!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, LRB said:

I ride a WR450F and would like to start taking it in the back country with my buddies who ride their quads to camp and am looking for some ideas for setups to carry my camping gear. 

Thus far I am thinking of putting a ProMoto rear rack on with a dry bag on top, and maybe some Nelson Rigg enduro saddle bags (possibly other brand), but am not sure if I should be looking at any other options. I know there are some other cool brands out there, but don't have enough experience to know what features I should be considering  

My vision would be to carry my backpacking camp gear on my bike (small tent, sleeping bag, minimalist cook gear, food, and some misc camp gear), and throw a hydration pack on my back. But I'd like to see if anyone has any better suggestions. 

Any thoughts / pics would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

I just sneak gear on the quads whenever I'm subjected to riding with them.

When I rode a bicycle cross-country I used a trailer and I learned that I hated using a trailer. Panniers are way better. Best if you can figure out how to load your front as well. This of course if you insist on ignoring my above advice.

• Like 1