I just bought a 2003 kx250 a few weeks ago. The guy I bought it from said he dropped the bike on it's side, and after that, the front brakes would "act up," but after feeling them, I figured they would just need bled and would be fine. After getting the bike home, I bled the brakes and realized that they weren't just mushy, but they would only grab on for a second before losing pressure, even while holding the lever all the way down. Sometimes they grab a lot harder for a lot longer, but they mostly just squeeze for a quick second. Also, when attempting to bleed the brakes for the third time, I realized that every time I pulled the brake lever, bubbles would rise from the bottom of the reservoir, which I was thinking maybe meant the master cylinder was damaged causing it to pump air into the brake line, but I don't know. I don't really want to take my bike to a shop or to buy a whole new front brake setup, so any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Edit: I've never dealt with dirt bike brakes, so this is all new to me)

Edited by canonball.z

Buy a new steel braided brake line and buy a used cr or crf front master cylinder. I bought rebuild kits for caliper and master and all I did was waste my money. I bought a used master of eBay from a 99cr250 brakes work much better now. This has already been answered in other posts. Kawasaki brakes are crap. I love my kx250 but nothing stops like a honda. 

9 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

Ever wonder why?  Every MC rebuild kit I have installed works fine...

Only for a quick second, and then I decided to listen to what everyone else was saying on here. I too did not want to replace my OEM kawi brakes for another manufacturer so I bought rebuild kits for the master and caliper and I also bought new Galfer pads and a new Galfer steel braided brake line. For some reason the brakes just didn't work good at all. I believe from what everyone's research was saying is that Kawi tried to redesign the MC....Adding more volume for fluid capacity and also changing bore diameter for the master. None of these were successful for them or for me. So I abandoned the Kawi brakes for Hondas. The Hondas brakes are substantially better. I myself have also been successful with other MC rebuilds. These "L" series Kawis just don't have great brakes, they may stop you but not where you want to stop. Lots of people have changed the Kawi brakes for Hondas, Yamahas and late model KXF MC's. This is a common solution. also when I changed my MC I changed my Brake line routing....Galfer makes specific CR brake line routing line that replaces the kawi wrap around design because its not effective. You can save a few dollars and buy a Tusk Brake line which is made by Galfer. Its says Galfer right on the brake line, Galfer makes very quality products. Check out rocky mountain atv for your brake lines.

The Honda MC is still Nissin which is the same brand as the Kawi. There is some good info out there online about them just do some searching.

canonball.z good luck whichever route you decide go, but I wouldn't take to the shop. They will want to sell you a new OEM MC for that year and for that you can have my old one for free if you want it. Try a new steel braided brake line try to rebuild the MC or completely switch out the MC. I'm sure you will get this straightened around.

I bought a crf master cylinder off of eBay, installed it and my brakes work perfect now. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, canonball.z said:

I bought a crf master cylinder off of eBay, installed it and my brakes work perfect now. Thanks for the help!

Did you keep the original kx style brake hose routing or did you switch to the cr style brake hose?

On 4/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, OneLung said:

Did you keep the original kx style brake hose routing or did you switch to the cr style brake hose?

Kept the same hose. Wasn't a very high priority for me at the time money wise.