Anyone know what I need to ride in the national forests?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what I need to do to ride by dirt bike on the gravel roads in the national forest?  Do I have to be street legal if it's not a designated OHV road?  Specifically I'm looking at the Cherokee National Forest and the Pisgah National Forest.

Thanks!

Brandon

You had better be street legal with all the bell's and whistles! Right down to your registration, inspection, and insurance card! The Rangers will give you a ticket in a heart beat!

• Like 1

That's the impression I was getting... street legal except designated OHV areas.  That stinks, but I think it's doable.  Thanks for the reply!

Brandon

To be more clear on the gravel  roads in the Pisgah National Forest, They are access fire roads  and they are state maintained. Even the road up to Brown Mt. parking area is a state road and you must be street legal to ride on it. The Park Ranger loves giving tickets if your caught riding a non legal dirt bike or ATV on the entrance road. Once your in the parking lot your good to go on all MARKED trails! So if your a duel sport rider and have all the street legal bell's and whistle's on your bike go have a great time, you also can get lost on all these gravel roads take your GPS!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  I was thinking I had to be street legal to ride there.  I will probably do it... looking at getting a WR250F, anyway... just a hop and a skip from street legal.  

The roads I'll start on are roads I've ridden on my entire life, just not on a bike.  Having said that, I am of course looking forward to riding new roads and will be taking maps as well as GPS!  Some of those roads are LONG and can just dead end in the middle of nowhere.  That's half the fun, though.

Thanks, again!

Brandon

Same rules apply in the Talladega national forest, if you ever decide ride down here. It is a beautiful place to ride.

Glad the spark arrestor was brought up. We had a 63 day drought last f

Last fall and it was so bad that no campfires were allowed at the fall Talladega race. The USFS is always burning off different parts but there strict on spark arrestors.

MO,

I was in the TNF last year on a street bike and was wandering how much dual sport was available? I would love to hook up this summer if you know the area. KTM500exc

• Like 1

O, there is plenty of duel sport especially around kentuck rd.behind the city of Oxford at the base of Cheaha Mtn. And some of those dirt roads go all the way down to Sylacauga. I've been dispatched back there to work vehicle accidents. It was rough on my patrol car.

It still used maps to get around it's so vast.