Experiences with NC registration and county property tax

Just wondering what those living in NC have experienced with state registration and county property taxes for off-road bikes. My understanding is that any off-road vehicle worth over $3000 is supposed to be registered to NC-DMV, even if never plated or even stickered for public lands use. County property taxes are collected at time of registration. Also, at least my county calls for voluntary reporting of any unregistered off-road vehicles for property tax purposes.  Personally I find this totally outrageous and abusive (in other words typical). Does anyone know if purchasing a new off-road bike in the state (and thus being in the sales tax database) triggers some kind of reporting to NC-DMV? I don't believe the dealer automatically registers you, but there could be a database connection through sales tax.

Edited by axeman
clarification

NC will tax the living crap out of you! First off you'll never get a off road bike registered for plates in this state. If the title says off road then forget it. Best thing to do is buy your dirt bike out of state, or buy under the $3,000.00 range. Once you buy a bike over the $3,000.00 mark they have you first for sales tax then next for personal property tax on a yearly basic's. Oh the state will not miss a chance to collect your yearly personal property tax's! Most of us do our buying in SC or Tenn. So far most of our public land riding does not require a registration to ride. Good Luck. 

• Like 1