1998 dr350

hi I just bought a dr 350 and I'm having some trouble with the carb. First problem is looks like theres a gas and oil mixture settling in the airbox. Second is when the bike shuts down it has a gurgal sound coming from the carb itself. Any help would be very helpful thanks in advance.

hi I just bought a dr 350 and I'm having some trouble with the carb. First problem is looks like theres a gas and oil mixture settling in the airbox. Second is when the bike shuts down it has a gurgal sound coming from the carb itself. Any help would be very helpful thanks in advance.

Check your float needle. It's likely allowing too much fuel to flow and flooding the engine. Is this a dirt model or street model? A photo of the carb as it sits in the bike would be helpful.

Yes that is the standard BST33 dual sport model carb. Put the petcock to ON (not prime) Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. It should dribble a little gas and then stop. It's vacuum operated. If it continues to flow then you have a petcock problem.

Next step would be to check the float valve. I would recommend going to thisoldtractor.com and getting a DR350 oring kit. Replace all orings in the carb, check the float needle for wear and check your float height. That should fix your issue with fuel in the airbox and engine.

ok I'm going to rebuild it this week. Why would there be oil mixed in it? Would it need the valves done? And is there anything you could tell me about this bike pros/cons is it a good bike ect ...

I have the DR350 dirt model with a different carb, but judging by the pics that carb could use a thorough cleaning and a rebuild kit couldn't hurt.

There really shouldn't be any oil in the carb or air box. I'd clean the air box completely while the carb is out, check for any oil leaks on the motor itself. Chances are some oil got spilled somewhere and was stuck in the air box. If it's actually coming from the carb, the valve oil seals could be shot and oil is dumping into the chamber then getting pushed back into the carb, but that seems unlikely.

Hopefully nobody put oil/gas mixture in the gas tank thinking it was a two-stroke at some point...

ok I'm going to rebuild it this week. Why would there be oil mixed in it? Would it need the valves done? And is there anything you could tell me about this bike pros/cons is it a good bike ect ...

There is a crank case vent that is plumbed into the air box. If the bike was tipped over or had too much oil put into it then it would burp into the air box. Not a big concern. If you clean the oil and it continues to return then I would investigate further. But for now, no sweat. Buy yourself a Clymer manual used on Amazon. Roughly $20 delivered. The oil needs to be checked AFTER the bike has warmed up and then shut it off. Wait 30 seconds and then check. They are known to burn a little oil so check it with every gas fill up as a good reminder.

I've owned three DR350's. Currently building two of them. You can read my build thread over on advrider at the link below. If you have any further questions just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. So many forum posts, so little time.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dr350-fun-build.1166102/

IMG_20170326_172315.jpg
  • Like 1

Your bike sound like it is doing EXACTLY what my first DR was doing. Get rid of the vacuum fuel cock to start. it is crap and with the age of these bikes WILL fail. drain your oil most likely it is going to piss out like gasoline. the oil in the air box is from gas over flowing while the bike is off and overflowing your engine. find a TM33 and ditch the street carb. I spent so much time and money trying to fix that junk carb. 

There is a crank case vent that is plumbed into the air box. If the bike was tipped over or had too much oil put into it then it would burp into the air box. Not a big concern. If you clean the oil and it continues to return then I would investigate further. But for now, no sweat. Buy yourself a Clymer manual used on Amazon. Roughly $20 delivered. The oil needs to be checked AFTER the bike has warmed up and then shut it off. Wait 30 seconds and then check. They are known to burn a little oil so check it with every gas fill up as a good reminder.

I've owned three DR350's. Currently building two of them. You can read my build thread over on advrider at the link below. If you have any further questions just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. So many forum posts, so little time.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dr350-fun-build.1166102/

IMG_20170326_172315.jpg

Thankyou! Im glad somebody said it
Its a machine, get the manual