2007 crf250r oil filter specks

Recently rebuilt my top end with a weisco piston new titanium valves and a hot cam. After the break in of the cam I changed the oil and didn't see any thing on the outside of the filter then I ripped the filter open and saw a few very small silver particles in between the oil filter fins. Wondering if this is common to see these very small specks in it. Bike runs fine and makes no weird noises. When I had it apart the crank had no slop in it so I'm fairly confident the crank is fine. Bike does not get rode hard at all. Could this be the cam breaking in?

Recently rebuilt my top end with a weisco piston new titanium valves and a hot cam. After the break in of the cam I changed the oil and didn't see any thing on the outside of the filter then I ripped the filter open and saw a few very small silver particles in between the oil filter fins. Wondering if this is common to see these very small specks in it. Bike runs fine and makes no weird noises. When I had it apart the crank had no slop in it so I'm fairly confident the crank is fine. Bike does not get rode hard at all. Could this be the cam breaking in?

Consider it normal but keep and eye on it during future oil changes.

Over winter I did some engine work on my CRF250X

had the cylinder head refurbished: seats re-cut, new guides and seals, springs, stainless steel INT/EXH valves

new piston, rings, timing chain, guides and tensioner, but kept the old cam. (in spec)

I was careful to clean everything and work in a likewise environment during re-assembly

after an initial 1 hour break-in ride I replaced the oil and filter and found a very tiny bit of metallic powder between the pleats of the filter.

Silver colored, no shards, all the same size particles, maybe a total of 10-15 specs in all.

(no metal was ever found in previous filters before the engine was refurbished)

Not something I like to see but as mentioned it's to be considered when new parts are wearing in.

Nothing compared to the first oil change I did on a neighbor's new TTR230 after only one hour of use,

that thing surprisingly had quite a lot of various size debris in the filter and oil!  (various color & texture)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Normal after the type of maintenance/upgrades you did. Check again after a few more hours.