Noob with an 05' 450X

What's up dudes! I just picked up a bone stock 2005 CRF450X with about 40 hours on it. I plan to get the thing plated and set it up for enduro. I've been lurking around for awhile and really appreciate all the shared knowledge!

I ordered a Tusk enduro lighting kit, a set of probends, and a Trail Tech Voyager. I'm still looking for a stock rear fender with the original labels so let me know if you have one your looking to unload.   So far I've replaced the air filter with a UNI foam filter, drained the old fuel and put in a gallon of fresh gas with Star Tron in it, new battery charging pigtail, changed the transmission, motor, and radiator fluids. I slll need to bleed the brakes but so far it looks good! This thing needs to be re-jetted for sure so I'll order the JD kit and open up the air box as I've seen many of you guys do. I still need to order a set of radiator braces, flexible fuel screw, skid plate, and a bigger fuel tank.

What else would you guys recommend? 

• Like 1

Check your bearings, inspect and lube your chain, obviously do an oil change(HP4 non moly or maxima syn blend 4 are my recommended ones for engine and HP4 non moly or maxima endurance 85 on trans. Side.)make sure to run a full qt. On the trans. Side, set you suspension to your weight and stuff. And halla at ya boy if you have any questions ✌?IMG_5777.JPG

• Like 1

I also have an 05. Welcome!

1. How are you going to convert it in California?

2. 15w-40 works just fun, but definitely run a full quart in the transmission side.

3. Tugger strap. This thing is heavy. The strap makes it much easier for turning it around on a hill or pulling it out of a stream/canyon. I also prefer having a steering stabilizer.

Have fun! If you ever escape California, Idaho has some great riding!

Thanks Guys! I used GN4 in the motor and a liter of Maxima in the trans, cleaned and lubed lubed the chain. I checked the wheel bearings and they look good. The lighting kit arrived yesterday so I'll get going on that today. Shutupandride, I'll look into those tugger straps for sure. As far as converting to dual sport in California, I'm just reading up and doing what I think needs doing before I roll into the DMV. Keeping the bike as close to stock as possible, and adding the enduro kit, is key. Thats why I'm on the hunt for a rear fender with original labels. Shoot me a PM if you need more details or if you have a fender.

Not sure if things have changed since I've lived there, but I thought they stopped allowing dual sport conversions years ago, and I even had some friends who successfully got it done and had their plate revoked.

6 hours ago, Dan__B said:

Thats why I'm on the hunt for a rear fender with original labels. 

You mean the labels that say explicitly that the bike is NOT DOT certified and cannot be licensed for road use?

There are ways, but personally haven't done my research on my home state of CA, got mine plated in SD, but I'm currently on DE. Not that worried not planning to go back to CA but to AZ, but who knows. Anyways, make sure to re set to factory settings your clickers and go from there to what suits your riding. As always make sure your bike is breathing clean air and drinking clean fuel at all times.

I appreciate all the help dudes, Thanks alot! CA requires certain things for dual registration, thats what I'm trying to figure out and do here. Don't need all the neggie nellys that haven't been through the process telling me what they think the DMV will do. Anyhoo, I got a lot done today. Installed the lighting kit and buttoned everything up when the big brown truck showed up with my Trail Tech and kickstand. So I pulled the seat, tank, and headlight back off and installed the speedo. The only snag was that the hydraulic brake switch was missing from my shipment so I won't be able to go to the DMV tomorrow. Unless I just pick one up locally, install it and swing by the DMV.

10 hours ago, Dan__B said:

I appreciate all the help dudes, Thanks alot! CA requires certain things for dual registration, thats what I'm trying to figure out and do here. Don't need all the neggie nellys that haven't been through the process telling me what they think the DMV will do. Anyhoo, I got a lot done today. Installed the lighting kit and buttoned everything up when the big brown truck showed up with my Trail Tech and kickstand. So I pulled the seat, tank, and headlight back off and installed the speedo. The only snag was that the hydraulic brake switch was missing from my shipment so I won't be able to go to the DMV tomorrow. Unless I just pick one up locally, install it and swing by the DMV.

I actually have been through the process in CA and they turned me away.

9 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Run full quart in transmission in 05 only or all 450Xs? What is benefit?

I think it was something to do with a poor oil pickup and your trans will starve for oil if not filled with a quart. It was either just the 05s, or 05 and 06.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Run full quart in transmission in 05 only or all 450Xs? What is benefit?

The CRF450X transmission is "splash" lubricated. There are a couple gears (3rd and 5th) that under constant load and relatively smooth riding conditions, will not receive enough oil and will seize to the shaft. Running a full quart alleviates this by effectively bathing the shafts in oil instead of relying upon splashing. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Dan__B said:

Don't need all the neggie nellys that haven't been through the process telling me what they think the DMV will do.

Didn't mean to pee on your Corn Flakes...just been around the block before.

I have the rear fender with the stickers on it if you feel like you need one. (It actually hurts your case, not helps it...)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NEKOOHC said:

Yeah .. can't rego the CRF ?? 

The CRF has ADR certification Here ( Down Under ) it means you can freewheel a CRF X into the DMV . A short time later you wheelie out . 

California hates motorcycles (other than being one of two states that allows lane splitting).

Thanks for all the help dudes! Just waiting on that fender from CRF DOC and I'll head on down to the DMV. I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, what tires are you dual sport guys running? I'm also thinking about changing up the gearing but nothing crazy. Planning on 10/90 road/dirt.

Edited by Dan__B
Add text